Topic: No Sound!

A friend gave me a PC with a RME sound card, and I can't get any sound out of it!  I have a digital to analog audio converter, since my speakers are analog.  Neither the ADAT nor the SPDIF cables produce results.  I have followed the instructions in the manual, so I'm sure I have them connected correctly, and I have changed the audio settings on the computer accordingly.  DIGIcheck says there is no signal at the digital input, even though I have a recorder connected to it.  Windows shows HDSP ADAT1 as the default device under "audio", but under "volume" it says there is no audio device.

Can anyone help?  I am at my wit's end!

Re: No Sound!

No help possible without details !

Which RME card is this ?
Which revision number is printed on the RME card ? Sometimes this information is useful.
Which Operating System do you use ?
Which mainboard do you use ?
Which RME driver did you install ?
What additional D/A converter are you using ?
How is exacly the setup / cabling in your setup ?

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Re: No Sound!

Thanks for your reply.

The sound card is the HDSP 9562, but I don't know the revision number (I imagine it is printed where I can't see it). The RME driver is 1202, the D/A converter is Fosman.  The operating system is Windows XP.  I don't know how to find out what "mainboard" the computer has; I will have to get back to you on that.  I have tried running a lightpipe cable from the ADAT1 out port to the adapter, which my speakers are plugged into, and also using the SPDIF adapter coaxial cable to the D/A adapter.  Incidentally, the computer also came with the RME AEB4/8-0 expansion board, which the user guide states can be used for headphones; but I tried that too and heard nothing.  I have tried playing music from the files in Windows Media Player, from Cubase, and from a recorder connected by lightpipe to the ADAT2 in.

Also incidentally, I found a receipt from 2005 from when the previous owner had taken the computer in for problems with the sound card.  The card had been connected incorrectly, but it was fixed at that time and was working the last time my friend used it.