1 (edited by TrojkaAgain 2016-11-18 12:25:09)

Topic: Expansion needs

I have a RME Multiface II (plus Quadmic) for many years now and I'm very happy with it. But lately I have been experimenting with recording with more than one mic, and I'm in need of more inputs.

Is there a (cheap) way I can expand the number of inputs whilst keeping the Multiface II I already have? By buying another one and syncing both for instance? I only need one or two extra inputs, and I don't use the digital inputs. I was thinking of adding an A/D converter or something like that? (if that's any cheaper that is smile )

Re: Expansion needs

With this combination you have i.e.
- 2 mics on the quadmic
- 2 mic inputs used as line input
- 4 remaining inputs on the Multiface
So 2 Mics and 6 line inputs ...

You could connect another Preamp or A/D converter via ADAT into the Multiface as it has ADAT IN and OUT.
And you still have the koaxial S/PDIF in and outs ...

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

3 (edited by TrojkaAgain 2016-11-18 13:49:30)

Yes, all analog inputs are in use indeed. The Quadmic uses four inputs, and then the Avalon U5 plus AKG C414 via Fredenstein V.A.S. mic pre use the other two, and then there's the Atomic Amplifire in stereo for the last inputs...

I'm thinking about a pre amp with ADAT or SPDIF out, as you suggest.

Better Preamp where you can use the inputs either for line or mic ..
Something like this with koax S/PDIF for only 2 channel I never heard of.
Will probably cost nearly the same and is limited too much.
Ideal would be a preamp that also offers line outs, so that you have more flexibility.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Yeah,  I'm now thinking about replacing the QuadMic with a x8 mic pre that has ADAT out. Should offer me 8 extra tracks plús 4 analog line inputs.