Topic: -84db noise on Analog In of HDSPe AIO

Hi,

I have a -84db noise floor in Analog In of my HDSPe AIO.

I checked the cables, even when removed I still have this noise level (clearly seen with Audacity for example or other similar softwares).

I have this noise for every samplerate until between 44.1 and 96 khz.

Is it a normal performance for a HDSPe AIO ?
Any noise issue from the PC ?

Thanks ?

Re: -84db noise on Analog In of HDSPe AIO

Peak or RMS?

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632

RMS, I guess (it is the stable level of noise indicated in vu-meter).

When silence is recorded and replayed at high volume, it gives a clearly audible kind of pink noise.

Do you have a microphone or another device attached to the inputs?

If the inputs are "open", you could very well just be seeing environmental noise, especially with a PCI or PCIe card.

If you want to measure, you should use a 150 Ohm resistor, soldered between pens 2 and 3 of the XLR connector. That will drop the noise floor to well over a 100 dB.

MB Pro - 2 X FireFace 400, FF800 & DigiFace USB
ADAT gear: Korg, Behri, Fostex, Alesis...

You guess? Check that  level in TotalMix FX. Then you should be able to see in the right hand side if Peak or RMS has been selected.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

6 (edited by Morbius 2016-11-30 10:51:08)

Thanks for your help.

I have modified driver of input in Audacity to be wasapi instead of directsound and now recording level gauge shows something moving between -100db and -105 db for sample rates between 44 to 96k.
Seems windows 10 mixer was doing wrong stuff even if nothing is plugged.
Better but not too sure it is still the normal level.
I don't know if I can trust Audacity, any idea of any reliable software I can use ?

@Cryano > No mike plugged, no other input plugged (nor analog or digital), I have the noise with :
- XLR analog in cable connected to the DAC when DA is OFF(and no other input cable connected)
- XLR analog in cable connected to the DAC when DA is ON and not playing anything (and no other input cable connected)
- no cable is connected to AIO
- no cable is connected to AIO and resistance 200 ohm between pens 2 and 3 of the XLR connector. (no 150 ohm in my stock)

@MC > Yes, sorry, "I guess" because I'm not an expert.
I can't use Totalmix FX because it shows no noise.
The recording level gauge has no scale indicated but if it is the same as the level slider beside id, it stops around -60db.
In that case it would be quite normal to seen nothing in Totalmix FX.

BTW, I have another issue : when I select any samplerate over 96 khz, I get a high noise in Totalmix.
It gives this with "RMS" button toggled :

https://s3.postimg.org/ev5dk6iv3/Capture.png

That is normal with SR over 96khz.
Best checking software is DIGIcheck. https://www.rme-audio.de/downloads/driver/digicheck.php
And AFAICS your interace is fine. Pink noise is good. It is computer noises (zips bleeps static) that is bad...

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632

> I can't use Totalmix FX because it shows no noise.

It does.

> The recording level gauge has no scale indicated but if it is the same as the level slider beside id, it stops around -60db.

The level meter readout is on top of the meter bars. Did you activate RMS on the right side, and change sr to 44.1 or 48 kHz? Then we can talk numbers.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hi,

Thanks again, I used Digicheck to test.
RMS level is around -112db
Peak is around -100db

So I guess all is perfect ?

Yes, definitely.

Regards