Topic: HDSP / Multiface mark I has become unreliable - capacitor problem?

Hello,

I have a HDSP / Multiface mark I which has become unreliable in the last few years on start up. On my home computer, I can use the interface reliably when the interface has warmed up. ie. if I do a cold boot of the computer, the interface does not load its firmware and does not function, however I reboot the computer after five minutes or so, the interface will initialise properly and continue to work while the computer is powered up.

Recently, I needed to install the interface on another newer computer and I couldn't get it to work at all.

I use Linux. On this second computer computer the HDSP card was not recognised with the command: lspci
On my home computer, the card is not recognised when the computer is cold, but is recognised with the "lspci" command when warmed up.

Someone once told me that the problem lies with old capacitors in the multiface unit. Does that sound likely, or might it be a problem with the HDSP?

Is there a modern alternative to the Cardbus interfaces that will work with the multiface 1 in laptops and desktops?

I'm wondering if i need to put this interface out to pasture.... seems a shame.

Thanks

Re: HDSP / Multiface mark I has become unreliable - capacitor problem?

Ah. I've just seen this: http://www.rme-audio.de/en/support/faq/hdsp_pci.php
So I guess I can modify the card as suggested and I'll do that. All the same, I'd like to be able to use the Multiface with a laptop (as I could do in the past with the cardbus interface), so my questions now are:

1) Are there adapters available so that I can use my old cardbus interface with a modern laptop?

2) Is there a modern alternative to the cardbus interface that works with the Multiface Mark 1?

Thanks