Topic: DIGI 9636 double speed recording at 96K?

Good morning / evening--

I know it's an old product; I'm just hoping there's an obvious solution that I'm just not seeing.  My PC is on Win XP SP3 and using a DIGI 9636 with driver 2.11 slaved to an incoming 96K SPDIF.  When I record, all appears OK--locks to my AD unit, etc.  When I play back, it's half-speed; and I've played back via the 9636 as well as another interface--both the same half speed issue.  I've also tried the AD unit SPDIF into another interface and it's recording and playing back normal.  For some reason, the 9636 seems to be recording double speed (192K?) which I don't think is even possible; so this has got me very confused. . . I've had this issue for a while but usually use 44.1 and all seems fine at that samplerate.  I very much appreciate any assistance.  Thank you,

Kevin

Re: DIGI 9636 double speed recording at 96K?

Do you record SPDIF or ADAT? Which software is used for recording? Is that software set to 96 kHz? Is that frequency also shown in the card's Settings dialog?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

thanks Matthias--I'm recording SPDIF into the 9636 into Reaper 4.78.  Both Reaper and the DIGI Settings dialog are showing 96kHz.

Hmmm, strange. You use ASIO? Did you ever play back a 96 kHz file from an external source to verify the recording went wrong, not the playback?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

What kind of DA converter are you using?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

thanks guys--Yes, I'm using ASIO and, after recording two tests at 96K--one with the 9636 and one via another interface w/ built-in AD--played back both through the other interface and only the one recorded through the 9636 sounds half speed.  I'm using a Focusrite Scarlett's DA to play back.  I also tested the 9636 through another DA slaved to it to test and getting the same half speed playback.  So, I think it's the recording. . . just so strange.  I'm not sure if I can trust Reaper's labeling of the audio file itself or if that's just some simple documentation; it does label the clip as at a 96kHz samplerate. 

I'm also not sure if doing things like looking at the waveform vs one recorded through the other interface is a legitimate test; when I have the two waveforms adjacent and zoom in on their images, they both appear to have the same number of sample points.

Here's a bit more info I hadn' t noticed before; corresponds with the sound:  Reaper's hours/minutes/seconds clock is moving twice as fast when I have the AD SPDIF'd through the 9636 vs. when I have it SPDIF'd into the Scarlett or I have RME as master (although in that situation, the AD isn't receiving clock itself as it's still set as master too as there's no SPDIF in on it).  For what it's worth, the AD I'm using is an Apogee Trak2 preamp/AD unit.  I guess there's something going on between the Trak2 and 9636 or just within the 9636 that has it running double speed when it's slaved at 96kHz.  Something like that; I'm confused.

Why you not use the 9636 as master and slave the Trak2 to it (if that solves the problem)?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

That's definitely the way forward.  Also, the 9636 is fine as slave at 44.1kHz.  Think I've become overly interested in the troubleshooting of this. . . Interestingly, I tried to slave the 9636 to another AD via optical SPDIF (ADAT 1 in) and it's doing the same double-speed recording.  Thanks again Matthias.