Topic: Gain staging inside TotalMix

Hello,
I just bought the Babyface Pro.
What is your method for setting gain staging inside TotalMix?
Do you set all inputs (sends?) to "0" nominal gain? And outputs all the way down to infinity?

I do, but the problem is that my output faders inside totalmix are far down somewhere around -32 dB when i feel the sound level feels good. And i guess the scale of the faders is logarithmic like with mixing consoles. So when i increase the level of the loudspeakers through my interface controls, it seems the increase of level is greatly increased for each step. Or is it always 1 dB gain steps in a linear scale?

Anyway, this seems risky. This morning i saw that the phones output level was set to nominal gain "0" by itself (might be a ghost ;-)). So what i did was, i attenuated the signal input of my loudspeakers (sense gain) with around -15 dB attenuation. And set the speakers to 94 dB at 0 dBu (SPL at 1 meter?). This made it possible to increase the outputs even more. But it still feels like there should be a better way, and the headphones output fader is still set very low because it dont have the same attenuation option.

So how do you set your gain staging inside totalmix? I want to keep a good SNR while recording. Is there any other benefit using correct gain staging inside totalmix? Does it matter if i send a weak signal from the interface to the loudspeakers? I can imagen its not too good having a too low of a signal going into the DAC.
Worth mentioning is that i set the gain of my analog inputs so that the input signal gets to around -12 dBFS. To keep some headroom and get a decent SNR.

Any help greatly appreciated!

Best regards
Johan