Topic: AI4S-192 - what am I doing wrong?

Hello,

I've had the HDSPe AIO for 5 years now and got along fine with the 1 analog input but lately I've been itching to add some synths to my studio. I bought the AI4S-192.

I bough this exact Stereo TRS cable from amazon: http://a.co/3qXTGcp

Running that from headphone out on a synth to "In 1" on the AI, I don't get a stereo sound. In Totalmix, choosing stereo for that Analog input combines it with the next channel making it Analog 3/4, so it's expecting two cables.

Can I get stereo sound using one Stereo TRS cable with this card or will I have to use 2 mono cables for left and right?

Re: AI4S-192 - what am I doing wrong?

Wrong cable. And makes me wonder how you think a single channel can be stereo...

You need a stereo to 2 mono cable, also called insert cable.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks for the info. I'm a novice sound guy so you'll have to forgive me.

The manual says: "The analog inputs are accessible through stereo ¼" TRS jacks"
And then says: "The AI4S-192 AIO is fitted with electronically balanced, single channel inputs (+ = tip)"

That first line about stereo jacks is where my confusion came from. I thought I had 4 stereo inputs. I understand I have 2 now.

One more question to clarify. So I can safely say that I'm maxed out with 3 stereo analog inputs using the HDSPe AIO + AI4S-192, correct?

> The manual says: "The analog inputs are accessible through stereo ¼" TRS jacks"

Google for symmetric / asymmetric connections ...

Symmetric connections require a stereo "TRS" jack, as three signals are required.
But this is only for the "electronic". In fact its still a mono signal, one channel.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13