1 (edited by slabbage 2017-01-02 19:03:47)

Topic: Low Latency Monitoring-HDSPe MADI>Burl>Grace>ProTools>HELP!!!

Hi Folks- I've been a  VERY happy mixer with this setup- MacPro12core>HDSPe MADI> Burl MotherShip> Burl Vancouver > Grace M905a monitor controller. I'm using NON HD Pro Tools 12.6 (vanilla)

Recently I began a project that requires live tracking on some large Pro Tools sessions (50+tracks,plugs,NI's)  AND I DO NOT OWN ProTools HD or a HD Native or HDX card. ( I also do not want to BUY ProTools HD or a HD Native or HDX card!)*

Anyhow- I have the HDSPe Analog/Headphone out > split into dual mono> Grace M905a unbalanced inputs.

And yes! after some adjustments in Totalmix  I have a latency free (or close enuff for me!) monitoring.

EXCEPT !!!!

(1) the signal level from the HDSPe is -10bd quieter than the balanced signal from the Burl.  I have the Grace pinned just to get a medium volume (useless with a drummer playing next to you) - I have hooked up an old Symetrix headphone amp/line driver but this seems to be distorting unpleasantly. Also - the playback thru the Totalmix just BLASTS the newly recorded track.

(2) Juggling 2 mixing boards (Totalmix and Pro Tools) is really detrimental to my work flow (and frankly too much to think about for someone like myself that is engineering AND performing)

Does ANYONE have any suggestions for a more "elegant" way to incorporate this into my system? (core audio,? aggregate devices? Totalmix routing?)

Apologies if I sound like an idiot- I am VERY challenged by this sort of thing....

I'm all ears! (or mostly!) Thanks!

Greg

*please forgive the shouting-I feel strongly about not giving Avid any more of my money.

Re: Low Latency Monitoring-HDSPe MADI>Burl>Grace>ProTools>HELP!!!

I have a similar setup.  PC > HDSPe MADI > Lynx Aurora 16 > Grace M905A.  In my case I am using an output pair (3/4) from the Lynx to drive the Cue input on the Grace.  Grace sends the Cue output to a headphone amp.  I have plenty of volume and I track drums in my home studio.

In my case I don't really touch anything in TotalMixFX.  Output pair 1/2 on the Lynx are the main mix.  Output pair 3/4, as mentioned, are the Cue mix which is really a clone of channels 1/2 plus I route the click (from Reaper) to 3/4 when needed.

In your Burl configuration do you have another set of outputs that could be used to drive the Grace Cue input?

3 (edited by slabbage 2017-01-05 02:48:12)

mworkman wrote:

In your Burl configuration do you have another set of outputs that could be used to drive the Grace Cue input?

Thanks for the reply, I'm probably guilty of providing "too much information" in my question as well as phrasing it incorrectly

...I should just repost something like:

"Anyone using the analog out jack on RME HDSPe MADI (non"FX") card for monitoring? Experiences?"

The  RME MADI analog out/headphone out  provides a nearly zero latency signal (as far as I can tell)- except it absolutely requires that you fiddle with Totalmix - and, in terms of latency it actually works very well, At the moment I'm splitting the TRS > (2) TS and then going into the Grace RCA unbalanced in.

Problem is ; the level is VERY low...(I've tried putting the 2-TS thru a stereo DI to balance the signal, and then into the Grace CUE- even quieter!...I have it dummied up thru an old Symetrix Headphone/Line Driver which works pretty well- however- it makes for a pretty kludgy workflow- I'm still tweaking the setup, but I refuse to believe that it's as good as it's gonna get.

BTW- if you haven't tried it- plug some phones into the jack - open up Totalmix- raise the fader on your input-assign it to 63/64- and the fader on your software track (also 63/64) PRESTO! - NO LATENCY!

For what it is worth, I don't feel like I have any latency in how I am setup.  DAW output through Software Playback in TotalMix.  Record monitoring of whatever I am tracking through the Hardware Inputs in TotalMix.  Those two sent out via the Hardware Outputs in this case Lynx > Grace M905A either the monitor or cue output.

I don't end up messing with TotalMix too much.  Usually it is limited to the Hardware Input side depending on what I am tracking.

These setups are very personal so I hope you find something that works for you.