1 (edited by FIXXXER 2017-01-05 17:42:02)

Topic: will the ADI-2 PRO fit my upcoming home studio setup!?

Hello,

currently i am using the HDSPe AIO PCIe card but as i am experiencing some serious issues with the card
i'd like to replace it with an USB solution. Even i am having issues with the card i'd like to stick with RME
as i am still very convinced about the quality, driver stability etc.

I am looking for a very simple Setup that will allow me to record my Fractal Audio AXE FX II/ Great RIVER ME-1 NV Preamp
using the analog XLR Inputs and monitoring everything with a pair of active ADAM P11A speakers.

My DAW is Cubase 8 PRO and i will soon be upgradfing to version 9.

Additionally i need to have at least one headphone out and a built in monitor controller section.

Right now most things seem clear but i am not sure if i can use the big volume knob as a "monitor controller"
and adjust the overall level for the analog XLR output.

Will the ADI-2 PRO work in such a setup or did i miss something!?

I am also looking forward to improve the overall sound quality, i guess the ADI-2 PRO should
be a step up from the AIO, or are these about on the same level?

I do understand that the ADI-2 PRO offers insane sampling rates but i am not sure how this
comes together in a "normal" 24bit/48000 recording setup.

I am also using my PC for streaming Video, listening to Music and especially gaming.
Will the ADI-2 PRO run flawlessly within any of these applications?

I almost forgot the most important part. I am aware that the ADI-2 PRO is not primatily designed to be
an audio interface but as fart as i understand the ADI-2 PRO is more than capable of this,
though i am not sure how it works latency wise. Is it possible to use sample libraries etc. without
a significantantly large latency?

Thanks in advance!

2 (edited by vinark 2017-01-05 17:48:53)

Re: will the ADI-2 PRO fit my upcoming home studio setup!?

I am struggling a little with improving audio quality. Yes every improvement, like this interface, increases the specs, but... IMHE (humble experience) the last ten years it has already been what goes in (rec) does come out again (playback) without any noticeable difference. Measurable difference maybe, very maybe, but audible?  Yes the noise floor is different (lower) but you need to record audio with the same dynamic range and same noise floor as your new interface, to make a difference.
Someone at SOS magazine once said, all the improvements will only let you record the noise floor of your studio (both real noise and electronic) more accurately....

The AIO is a very nice interface, so what are the problems.

If this is not interesting to you, just ignore!
Cheers
Vincent

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
Babyface pro fs, HDSP9652+ADI-8AE, HDSP9632

3 (edited by FIXXXER 2017-01-05 17:57:41)

Thanks for the fast reply! smile

yeah, my main concern is that there will be no audible difference in sound quality and to be honest i am expecting
to hear quite a big difference, so maybe dissapointment is inevitable...

about the AIO, basically i am very happy with the card but i am experiencing more and more issues with noise/interference.
I have already loked up every thread about noise with the AIO but i could never get rid of it.

I have also owned two 9632 cards before and both had the same issues.

The first noise issue is within the built in headphone out.
When a headphone is connected i hear some weird electronical emmissions like beeping, buzz and the infamous mouse movement.

I kind of got this sorted out by moving the card to another PCIe slot.
Funnily, most people advice to move the card further away from the CPU and GPU but in my case the card was already mounted in the last PCIe slot so i had no other chance than moving the card closer to the GPU.

The noise decreased but it's still there. Hoewever, i do not use the headphone out so this is no big deal for me!

The BIG problem here is a constant hum in the left analog input chanel.
It appears and disappears randomly but mostly surprises me when i rarely find some time to record some music,
which is extremely demotivating.

I think the source of the problem is the breakout cable as the hum appears randomly, it might be a lose connection.
This is also my fourth breakout cable, these things are really of very poor quality. I do not move my PC around at all
but the cables seem to break just over time. I am not willing to spend more money on another breakout cable that's
why i am looking for a solution that does not require a breakout cable.

4 (edited by vinark 2017-01-05 18:13:22)

Ah the computer noise issue. It is a beast. I have never had noise with my RME's. 9632 9652 Babyface tascam and Emu. Buth I did with a digidesign M=box. Terrible! But now on a cheap 2015 netbook it is 100% quiet and I can use it again (for 2 track location rec). So in this case the computers caused it.
There are 3 causes, earthing problems, computer power supply issues and motherboard/cpu design and setting causes.
You would need to hear from someone who had the same AIO issue and that those where fixed by getting a USB RME interface to be semi sure the ADI would fix this.
Cheers!

Vincent, Amsterdam

the headphone out noise seems to be quite common but i could not find any case where people
had noise problems on the inputs!

The analog out is dead silent for instance, if i connect the active speakers directly to the AIO,
turn all the faders up running the speakers at 100%, all i can hear is a slight whoosh.

I would not say that it is a problem with the PC or some of the components as the hum problem is not constant.
It appears and disappears randomly, sometimes it lasts only one day, sometimes it won't go away for weeks.

Could it be a problem with the card itself?

I have also experiencing some random latency issues where i could not work with 256 samples in an empty project wthout having audio dropouts. Usually the card can handle 64 or even 32 samples on a simple recording project without any problems.

I also had TotalMix FX and the HAmmerfall Software freeze up a few times...

Ah the analogue out is ok. Then it is only the hum issue. Did it ever hum with nothing connected to the input. Only the breakout cable? And what is connected to that input? Indeed sounds like a cable issue.

If you ever have the latebcy issue again, try a cold reboot. So power completely off.

Vincent, Amsterdam

FIXXXER wrote:

Hello,

currently i am using the HDSPe AIO PCIe card but as i am experiencing some serious issues with the card
i'd like to replace it with an USB solution. Even i am having issues with the card i'd like to stick with RME
as i am still very convinced about the quality, driver stability etc.

I am looking for a very simple Setup that will allow me to record my Fractal Audio AXE FX II/ Great RIVER ME-1 NV Preamp
using the analog XLR Inputs and monitoring everything with a pair of active ADAM P11A speakers.

My DAW is Cubase 8 PRO and i will soon be upgradfing to version 9.

Additionally i need to have at least one headphone out and a built in monitor controller section.

Right now most things seem clear but i am not sure if i can use the big volume knob as a "monitor controller"
and adjust the overall level for the analog XLR output.

Will the ADI-2 PRO work in such a setup or did i miss something!?

I am also looking forward to improve the overall sound quality, i guess the ADI-2 PRO should
be a step up from the AIO, or are these about on the same level?

I do understand that the ADI-2 PRO offers insane sampling rates but i am not sure how this
comes together in a "normal" 24bit/48000 recording setup.

I am also using my PC for streaming Video, listening to Music and especially gaming.
Will the ADI-2 PRO run flawlessly within any of these applications?

I almost forgot the most important part. I am aware that the ADI-2 PRO is not primatily designed to be
an audio interface but as fart as i understand the ADI-2 PRO is more than capable of this,
though i am not sure how it works latency wise. Is it possible to use sample libraries etc. without
a significantantly large latency?

Thanks in advance!

Hello FIXXXER,

One thing to keep in mind about the ADI-2 Pro is that it is only a 2 in / 2 out interface (when it comes to balanced analog connections).

Therefore, the ADI-2 Pro will work for you as long as don't need the outputs of the ADI-2 Pro for anything other than your monitors (in other words, you can't pass an analog signal to your preamp or Axe FX).

Another important thing is that the ADI-2 Pro does not come with RME's Totalmix FX, so all signal flow / monitoring setup must take place using the ADI-2 Pro's front panel screen (which can be cumbersome).

On the plus side, the ADI-2 Pro is using RME's highest end converters / electronics (much better than the converters in RME's Babyface Pro or UFX+), which multiple people on GearSlutz have commented has helped the ADI-2 Pro beat converters from Lynx, Prism, UAD, Crane Song, Mytek, etc.

So to sum it up, the ADI-2 Pro is a great interface, but limited on the outputs / software control side of things.

Nelson

@vinark
if i recall correctly i never had hum when nothing was connected but i am not absolutely sure about that.
I have also tested all of my cables and these are OK. The device connected to the analog Inputs is a Fractal Audio AXE FX II
guitar amp modeling unit. I had this connected directly to the active speakers with no hum at all, so it must be
AIO's breakout cable. Right now the hum is gone again but i am really paranoid about it coming back as i had this happen
quite a few times now. Maybe a higher quality Cable would sort out the problem but afaik there is no alternatie to the
RME BO9632- XLRMKH.

@nelson_a
i would of course prefer more than 2 analog inputs as i could connect my two hardware units simulatenously
without having to replug but in general this is not a big deal for me. The AXE FX II has also digital outputs
so maybe i could hook it up via SPDIF.

As for the outputs, i only have a pair of active speakers so two analog outs for monitoring are perfect.

TotalMix ist a cool software but i think that i can live without it, afaik the ADI-2 PRO can store certain settings, so once set up
everything should work without any fiddling.

What about the "monitor controller" topic, can i use the big volume control to adjust the overall volume of the
analog output or does it affect the input volume also?

Actually the UFX+ was the alternative i was looking at but for my needs this is pretty much OP.
I also thought the UFX+ converters are somewhere close to the ADI-2 PRO but it seem slike the
ADI-2 PRo's converters are really unique, that's very promising!

Can you tell me something about the ASIO side of the ADI-2 PRO?
Having the RME MADI drivers it should be capable of very low latencies
if i understand correctly but is it really that good?

For example, can i use an guitar amp sim, or some orchestral sample
libraries with lets say a 64 or even 32 buffer size?

I am talking about a simple recording setup with little to none additional plugins involved.
If course when it comes to mixing i can not expect it to work with such low buffer settings,
even my PCIe AIO does not support that.

cheers
FIX

Might be as silly as a little oxidation on the pins of the AIO where you connect your breakout. Maybe inserting a few times or a little contact spray.
BTW with a multimeter you can also test the breakout cable.
And if you are good with a soldering iron you can make your own which in turn you can also repair.

The latency issue is probably a PC issue and not a card or driver issue so there the ADI might not help.
And for sound quality this is an interface for very high end listening and needs everything before and behind it, including room treatment to be the same to make any difference.

Vincent, Amsterdam

i can check the connectors but have no clue aboult soldering.
maybe i can get such a cable made somewhere?

As for the ADI-2 PRO, i am going to treat my room acustically as good as possible,
the rest should be fine, my speakers (ADAM P11A) are a bit older but they still sound very good to me.

The only thing that's holding my order back is the unconfirmed "monitor controller"

FIXXXER wrote:

i can check the connectors but have no clue aboult soldering.
maybe i can get such a cable made somewhere?

As for the ADI-2 PRO, i am going to treat my room acustically as good as possible,
the rest should be fine, my speakers (ADAM P11A) are a bit older but they still sound very good to me.

The only thing that's holding my order back is the unconfirmed "monitor controller"

Hello FIXXXER,

Given that there are only two analog outs (for a single pair of monitors), I don't believe there is a monitor controller on the ADI-2 Pro.

Nelson

If you push the volume knob you can switch between Main Out 1/2 and Phones 3/4 and set the volume.

What functionality you mean by saying "monitor controller" ?

You have no dim, mute, mono, speaker B, talkback, like you have with TM and the ARC USB (UFX+, ..)

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Mute and Speaker B (aka switch between 1/2 and 3/4) is on the list, Mono already exists.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks for clarifying in regards to existing mono and thanks for enhancing the product wink

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

@nelson_a
I do not need any extra options, i just need to be able to control the main out seperately.

@ramses
Monitor controller might be the wrong term, i do not need functions like dim, mute or a TB
i just need to control the main out seperately, this seems to work with teh ADI-2 PRO.

@MC
Mono would be the only function i'd miss, good to know it's there!

Now i have to find out how to put the unit into a 19' rack. The RM19-X seems to fit but
ive seen people complaining about the screws not being long enough.
Has this issue ben fixed yet?

Never heard of that before, and it definitely fits with the ADI-2 Pro.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

Never heard of that before, and it definitely fits with the ADI-2 Pro.

i've read some reviews and most of them complained about the screws being too short smile

You wrote that already. Link please.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

19 (edited by FIXXXER 2017-01-09 20:06:44)

https://www.thomann.de/de/rme_rackmount … #bewertung

I'll get my ADI-2 PRO+RM19-X tomorrow and i hope that the screws will fit!

In general, i have to admit, having such am extremely nice looking device as the ADI-2 PRO
i wish the rackmounts would fit that look.

It may be a matter of taste and i know the RM19-X is surely not produced in extrem big quantities i wish that there was
somethng a bit better looking, something like the rack extension ears on the UFX+ for example.

These look solid, rigid and clean, in this case i would prefer paying more having something that looks better and fits the unit.

It's just an idea, i'm sure most people do not care but i am very picky when it comes to design and aestethics and the
RM19-X semms not like a a winner here.

Maybe you can offer a nicer looking and more solid rackmount kit in the future! smile

The unit and the rackmount kit arrived and i had some time to test everything!

I am really impressed by the ADI-2 PRO so far, the sound quality is distinctly better compared to my AIO.
Everything works flawlessly. I surely need to get used to the operation of the unit but this should not be a problem at all.

The only downside is that it seems not possible to monitor the analog out directly.
When i am not recording i often jam parallel to youtube or mp3. I wish there was some sort of "zero latency monitoring"
available to the unit but it seems like this is primarily for RME products that include TotalMix.

I still think that the ADI-2 PRO could be capable of doing this, maybe this function can be added in a future firmware?

As for the Rackmount kit, it is far away from being flabby, it's dead solid!
I still wish for an UFX+ style one piece rackmount just for the sake of aestethics but i can
accept the RM19X as it is. Now i need to see if the screws will fit.

Thomann.de is a good website for buy product about sound my friends

i do agree but do not really understand the purpose of your post...

So you see the screws are fitting now wink

> The only downside is that it seems not possible to monitor the analog out directly.

The analog output is the monitoring output... What do you mean exactly?

Are you aware that you can change the Source of the PH3/4 output to any input?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

24 (edited by FIXXXER 2017-01-13 05:01:26)

Didn't try the screws yet but i am sure they will fit! smile

As for the monitoring i am talking about the analog XLR Input.
I have connected my AXE FX II guitar processor to the analog IN
but i can not hear the AXE FX II until i power on cubase, add a track and turn on the software monitring.

With my AIO i could monitor the analog input at any time, but i guess that's
because of TotalMix and the zero latency monitoring.

Maybe it is possible to do this with the ADI-2 PRO also, maybe with a future firmware update!?

If direct monitoring is, or will not be possible with the ADI-2 PRO, i might switch to the UFX+
but then again, the ADI sounds insanely good, not sure if the UFX+ converters can compete with the ADI-2 PRO.

cheers
FIX

I think you use the word monitoring when you need to say 'mixing'. The ADI-2 Pro will not have any kind of mixing engine. Therefore you can monitor only one input at a time for out 1/2 and one freely selectable one from PH 3/4. As you correctly wrote mixing (to monitor more than one source simultaneously) is supposed to be done in the DAW.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

yeah i would need to "monitor" the analog input and analog output simultaneously,
so it's indeed not possible with the ADI-2 PRO.

Would you say that the UFX+ would be the better choice then?

27 (edited by ramses 2017-01-13 13:11:00)

With Totalmix everything in that regards is possible. Any to any routing and you can create headphone mixes as you like.

But what if you try to work differently and monitor only the analog output.

Isnt it possible, that you create in the DAW a mix, that sends
- playback channels and
- your guitar playing
to control room .. be it Phones or Analog Out

With the low RTT / Latency it might be possible for you, to play still accurately on the notes.
But you need to try.
Eventually disable Cubase ASIOguard that might introduce additional latency.

Hmmm, Youtube runs via WDM. Why not change Cubase to WDM drivers so Windows mixes both sounds together? Latency might be acceptable if set low in the ADI-2 Pro Settings dialog.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

29 (edited by FIXXXER 2017-01-13 15:23:47)

ramses wrote:

But what if you try to work differently and monitor only the analog output.

Isnt it possible, that you create in the DAW a mix, that sends
- playback channels and
- your guitar playing
to control room .. be it Phones or Analog Out

With the low RTT / Latency it might be possible for you, to play still accurately on the notes.
But you need to try.
Eventually disable Cubase ASIOguard that might introduce additional latency.

that's actually how i do it right now, it does work and the latency is extremely low!
The workflow is very slow though as i always have to activate the software monitoring
for every track when recording, and deactivate it when i want to listen to what i have recorded.

I am using a hardware guitar amp simulator  but i have to record it the same way like i am using a VST guitar amp
and that's a bit frustating.

@MC
that's not the actual problem, i can indeed listen to youtube and my guitar simultaneously even with the ASIO
driver selected  but i can only do this within cubase. I am looking for a solution without having to start up Cubase but it looks like it's really not possible with the ADI-2 PRO.

The Background on this:

I am using an Fractal Audio AXE FX II amp modeller, which does calculate all the sounds within the hardware unit
with minimal latency. Now i have to use software monitoring to be able to hear what's coming out of the AXE FX II and this kind of renders the unit useless. In this case i could use Software amp simulation VST'S instead, it would make no difference
when it comes to the workflow. The main advantage of the AXE FX II is that the sound is already processed and does not to be processed within the DAW.

30 (edited by FIXXXER 2017-01-14 19:47:01)

one more question about the heat generation of the unit. i see it gets pretty warm when running for
a few hours but i would not consider it to be "hot".

I have a 12U rack where the first slots are occupied by my 2U guitar modeling processor.
the third slot is holding my 1HU vocal preamp and i am planing to put the ADI-2 PRO into the fourth slot.

Will this be safe or should i leave some space between the units?
I have a few rack panels herebut placing a 1HU panel in between every unit,
leaves the ADI-2 PRO exactly in the middle of the rack, which feels strange as i have to bend down under my table to be able to operate the ADI-PRO. The same problem ovccurs if i swith positions on the units of course.

Well, i know this seems like a first world problem but i'd rather have all the units a bit more higher.

Will it be safe to place the units directly under each other or should i leave a gap between them?

The other units do not reall get hot or even warm, the vocal pream has ventilaion holes on the top
but it does not get hot either...

It had been said in an earlier thread that also the design in terms of heat dissipation has been optimized.
So simply regard it as good that the heat will be distributed to the outside.

If you have a feeling that it gets a little bit too warm for your taste, then get a rack with 1 rack unit more and leave a little more space between all of the devices and to the top of the case. I am doing the same.

UFX+ and XTC also produce more heat compared to i.e. UFX.

i have more than enough space in the rack, the problem is the position!
if i leave 1HU space between every unit the last unit is about 30cm above the floor,
means if i need to make a setting i have to bow down or sit on the gound to be able to make adjustments.

now imagine that when recording guitar haha!

i thought of buying two 4HE desk racks but at this moment there is simply no space where to place them.

Eine Fingerbreite meine ich.

I had asked the very same question on the forum
https://www.forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=24738

I don't get it. Why you not just leave one space between the ADI-2 Pro and the others, so they stay together like they are now? Best of both worlds...

While I would do it like that it is not mandatory to have that space between them.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

@ramses
ja das würde gehen, aber, das ist gar nicht mal so einfach für einen Neurotiker wie mich!
ne aber im ernst, ich weis schon was du meinst, so könnte es definitiv gehen.

@attilafaravelli
i'll check it out thanks!

@MC
i can do that of course, just wanted to know if it's still safe to operate the ADI-2 PRO
if i don't leave any space bin between the two units.

aber mal was anderes, ich weis gerade auch nicht warum ich die ganze zeit auf gebrochen englisch schreibe
wo deutsch doch die definitiv bessere wahl gewesen wäre, peinlich sowas, tut mir leid.

37 (edited by ramses 2017-01-16 15:39:39)

Auf Englisch erreichst Du einfach mehr Leute ... EDIT: aber mach einfach so weiter, wie es für Dich am besten passt wink

38 (edited by FIXXXER 2017-01-17 03:19:43)

ja da hast du recht!

ach ja, ich habe mich dazu entschieden das UFX+ nun doch nicht anzutesten, bin mit dem ADI-2 PRO bisher
extrem zufrieden, hoffe aber dan zukünftige firmware updates noch die eine oder andere bonus funktion mit sich bringen!

wie gesagt das einzige was mir fehlt ist das direkte abhören vom analogen eingang,
aber das lässt sich ja mehr oder weniger kompensieren.

eine "anti BUMMMS" funktion wie beim UFX+ wäre noch wünschenswert,
die frage ist ob so etwas beim ADI-2 PRO technisch möglich ist. man kann natürlich auch das umgehen
aber irgendwie schalte ich immer zuerst ie boxen an, blöde angewohnheit, wird man nur schwer wieder los.