Topic: ADI 2 PRO Volume control on xlr and trs analog outputs ?

Hi
Have just ordered an ADI 2 PRO to be used with a pair of Active Quested V3110 monitors via the XLR analog outputs.
Evalauting to go for a pair of Quested subwoofers also in the future. Will it be possible to use the
analog unbalanced TRS outputs to the Active subwoofers and the XLR outputs to the Active Monitors and Control the volume on both xlr and trs outputs simultanouesly.

Larss

Re: ADI 2 PRO Volume control on xlr and trs analog outputs ?

larss wrote:

Hi
Have just ordered an ADI 2 PRO to be used with a pair of Active Quested V3110 monitors via the XLR analog outputs.
Evalauting to go for a pair of Quested subwoofers also in the future. Will it be possible to use the
analog unbalanced TRS outputs to the Active subwoofers and the XLR outputs to the Active Monitors and Control the volume on both xlr and trs outputs simultanouesly.

Larss

Hello Larss,

Unfortunately, I believe the answer is no.

The unbalanced TRS are only suitable for headphones.

Nelson

3 (edited by larss 2017-01-06 04:42:15)

Note, the unbalanced outputs close to the XLRs on the rear side , ref specification,

1/2 TS (rear)
As output XLR, but:
• Output: 6.3 mm TS jack, unbalanced
• Maximum output level: +19 dBu
• Signal to Noise ratio (SNR) @ +13/19 dBu: 117 dB RMS unweighted, 120 dBA
• Signal to Noise ratio (SNR) @ +4 dBu: 113 dB RMS unweighted, 117 dBA
• Output impedance: 100 Ohm

Are these really not appropriate as subwoofer outputs ?

Thanks for info.

Larss

larss wrote:

Note, the unbalanced outputs close to the XLRs on the rear side , ref specification,

1/2 TS (rear)
As output XLR, but:
• Output: 6.3 mm TS jack, unbalanced
• Maximum output level: +19 dBu
• Signal to Noise ratio (SNR) @ +13/19 dBu: 117 dB RMS unweighted, 120 dBA
• Signal to Noise ratio (SNR) @ +4 dBu: 113 dB RMS unweighted, 117 dBA
• Output impedance: 100 Ohm

Are these really not appropriate as subwoofer outputs ?

Thanks for info.

Larss

I suppose if your sub-woofer can accept an unbalanced signal, then maybe.

But I personally would not pass an unbalanced signal to my monitors.

Nelson

Please take attention to the details. Unbalanced TRS = front stereo headphone output. The unbalanced rear output is TS = mono phones connector.

There is no problem to connect a subwoofer there, except that this rear output carries the exact same signal as the XLR output. If your Subwoofer has crossover and sensitivity control it will work, you then control both volumes at the same time with the ADI's volume knob.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

For clarification, is it possible to connect the monitors to the XLR outputs and the subwoofers to the TS outputs and control the volume on both ?

I.e unbalanced TS to the subwoofers and balanced XLR to the monitors.

Thanks for info.

Larss

larss wrote:

For clarification, is it possible to connect the monitors to the XLR outputs and the subwoofers to the TS outputs and control the volume on both ?

I.e unbalanced TS to the subwoofers and balanced XLR to the monitors.

Thanks for info.

Larss

MC wrote:

Please take attention to the details. Unbalanced TRS = front stereo headphone output. The unbalanced rear output is TS = mono phones connector.

There is no problem to connect a subwoofer there, except that this rear output carries the exact same signal as the XLR output. If your Subwoofer has crossover and sensitivity control it will work, you then control both volumes at the same time with the ADI's volume knob.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
Babyface pro fs, HDSP9652+ADI-8AE, HDSP9632