1 (edited by ramses 2017-01-12 20:21:15)

Topic: UFX+: Looking for good USB 3.0 PCIe interface card

Hi,

I have limitations / problems with the USB2 bus of my Supermicro X10SRi-F server mainboard (Intel C612 chipset),
when using UFX+ and ADI-2 Pro at the same time.

This mainboard has anyway too few USB3 ports for my taste (2 in the back, 1 in the front, 1 special on the mainboard).
As this is a very nice server mainboard it has a lot of x4 PCIe sockets.

So the plan is now to get a quality PCIe card with 4 x USB 3.0 ports and x4 PCIe Lanes.

The UFX+ manual recommends to take i.e.:
- NEC/Renesas (constrains: performance and error free transmission depends on driver and PCB Layout, not so nice)
- Fresco
- VIA VL912
I would like to exclude Nec and VIA. Ecpecting more quality from cards with Fresco chip.

I found this card: http://geizhals.de/sonnet-allegro-pro-u … 79334.html
According to the specs it supports not only MAC but also Win7/8/10 and also Windows Server 2008-2016.
I like it, that each of the USB3 ports has a controller of its own and is connected to a PCIe LAN of its own.

What do you think about this card ? Any experiences with it ?
Is this card directly supported by Windows 7 or 10 or is it required to install drivers from Fresco ?
I read a user comment on Amazon from Jan 2016 complaining, that this card didnt run on MAC
and that drivers have not been updated since years.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Re: UFX+: Looking for good USB 3.0 PCIe interface card

I usually would buy a cheap Fresco card for under 40 bucks, but you are right, this Sonnet card is high end stuff and fits the rest of your computer! And it runs on the drivers included in Windows 10, so no worries. Get it!

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks Matthias !

BTW .. I am still on Windows 7, but I also regard it as a good sign, that drivers are included in Win10.

Only one thing I really dislike about the card .. driver download area.
They dont mention, which fresco ship is on the card and they offer 2 different drivers.
I will order it now and see what chips are on the card.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

4 (edited by ramses 2017-01-16 20:06:20)

This card is really good, works like a charm under Windows 7:

Sonnet Allegro Pro USB 3.0 PCIe with 4 dedicated Fresco Logic 1100 USB 3.0 controller.
https://www.heise.de/preisvergleich/son … 79334.html

Driver: FLUSB3.0-3.6.9.0a.exe

All my USB 2.0 bus problems solved by
- connecting UFX+ to USB 3.0 port of Intel C612 Chipset
- connecting ADI-2 Pro to one of the Sonnet Allegro Pro USB3.0 ports

Now the other USB equipment (keyboard, mouse, USB bluetooth adapter and USB3.0 hub do not disturb again).