1 (edited by JimRad 2017-01-31 11:56:39)

Topic: 2 x MultiFace on 1 HDSP card?

I have a studio PC with an internal HDSP Hammerfall PCI card rev. 1.5 connected to a Nuendo Audiolink 96 breakout box (identical to the MultiFace) which is used with a Soundcraft Spirit M8 mixer connected to the direct outs from the mixer to get 8 mic channels into CuBase. It has been a good, solid and great sounding 8 channel system that has served me well for years through several versions of CuBase!

I an considering to upgrade the system to 16 channels and I have found a used Nuendo Audiolink 96 breakout box. The seller tells me that the box can be connected to the existing box to get the 16 channels WITHOUT getting a second HDSP PCI card.

Did anyone try this? Does it work? Any issues?

Thanks

JimR
https://soundcloud.com/jimr

Re: 2 x MultiFace on 1 HDSP card?

Using the MF as Stand-alone ADAT/Analog/ADAT Converter is possible but cumbersome, as the unit includes no memory. You will have to power it, connect it to the HDSP card, set up the correct routing, Disconnect without loosing power, then connecting the other unit to the HDSP card. Now as soon as power is lost you have to repeat that procedure...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thank you, I want a simple and user friendly system so I will be looking for another HDSP PCI card for the second unit.

br

Jim

4 (edited by JimRad 2017-02-06 09:25:19)

I just bought another MultiFace with an HDSP card - plugged it in and started the PC - existing drivers installed automatically for the new board - rebooted the PC aaaand done!!

RME - your stuff is always working and there's never any problems - great gear.

Speaking about quality: My very old Nuendo Audiolink 96 survived a lightning strike that killed several other units in the house. Only one Midi port got fried, everything else still works!

For the search engines: When you have two MultiFace on the system you have to syncronise them. After installing the second MultiFace I suddenly couldn't play my Sampled instruments - after 30 seconds of playing it started crackling and then the sound died. After syncronising them using an ADAT cable everything now works again and I can use a fast 128 buffer setting.

Thanks

Jim

MC wrote:

Using the MF as Stand-alone ADAT/Analog/ADAT Converter is possible but cumbersome, as the unit includes no memory. You will have to power it, connect it to the HDSP card, set up the correct routing, Disconnect without loosing power, then connecting the other unit to the HDSP card. Now as soon as power is lost you have to repeat that procedure...

I'd like to try it this way, have had a hard time finding specifics on the correct routing, what specifically do I need to change in the settings of the 2nd Multiface while it's connected?

I see the "Disconnect" option where it says "I/O Box" so clearly that's the last step, if someone could throw me a screen shot of how the settings should look that would be hugely helpful.

Thanks very much.