Topic: ufx+ usb problem - audio dropouts

I was using my new UFX+ for a recording session last weekend. My computer is a new Macbook Pro 2016, which I am fully aware could be causing some problems. I was using Reaper to record.

Using the USB cable that came with the UFX+ connected to the Mac USB->USB-C adapter I was having audio dropouts during recording. it didn't matter if I was recording 2 or 5 tracks.

Swtiching to Thunderbolt to TB3 the setup worked totally fine.

All of my drivers, firmware, and OS are up to date.

Obviously, this shouldn't happen. Any ideas?

Thanks, Sam

Re: ufx+ usb problem - audio dropouts

I had a similar problem while using my UFX+.
When I ran the UFX+ via USB I was having dropouts when just playing stereo files on my system - not only when recording.

I did some experimenting and discovered that the dropouts happened only when I had my Behringer X-Touch connected via USB.
So maybe the UFX+ is sensitive to other gear being run on the same USB circuit.

Running the UFX+  via Thunderbolt thus separating it from certain other USB gear that conflict with it is my solution for avoiding the dropouts.

UFX+ x2 ; Babyface Pro x2; UFX Original;  Windows 10 64 bit ; Intel core i9 9900KS CPU; 64 Gig DDR4

3 (edited by ramses 2017-02-06 17:01:08)

It has been mentioned already here that the UFX+ uses nearly the full bandwidth of an USB3 controller.

You need to find a port or port combination where everything works.

Maybe 1st the UFX+ alone, try all ports whether it runs ok.

Next try combinations of devices together with UFX+.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Another solution that worked for me was Running my UFX+ via my USB 3.1 circuit  and restricting all my other USB gear to the USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 circuits.  (But I have a lot of USB gear so I run the UFX+ via Thunderbolt thus opening up my USB sockets for my keyboards and controllers.)
The UFX+ functioned via USB 3.1 with no complications as far as I could tell.

UFX+ x2 ; Babyface Pro x2; UFX Original;  Windows 10 64 bit ; Intel core i9 9900KS CPU; 64 Gig DDR4

If you have TB available, and it works...Any particular reason why you would even bother with USB?  I'd take TB over USB every day of the week, and twice on Sunday.  That being said, I'm on a Windows system, so there's far more things that connect via USB than TB, so it's easy for me to isolate the UFX+ by itself on the TB connection.

Well, I assumed that the provided connector would work. I think that is a fair assumption. I also didn't realize TB was that much faster. Well...TB from now on.

The provided USB3 cable is likely fine.  USB connections can sometimes be funky depending on the motherboard or USB card.  Even to the point that some USB ports will work better than others on the same system for a specific piece of gear.  Additionally, you always want to make sure that if using USB for an audio interface, that you have the interface isolated on it's own bus.  You don't want the interface having to share bandwidth with other things (mouse, keyboard, external HD, etc.).

From a speed perspective, you probably notice much of a difference between USB2, USB3, and TB for your normal recording, assuming you're doing your monitoring through the UFX+.  The USB2 connection is typically plenty for "normal" recording processes.  I have a UFX as well, and actually get better performance out of it via USB than via FW.  The speed of TB really comes into handy if you need higher channel counts, and if you're monitoring through your DAW software....Especially if you're using plugins while monitoring.

All of this makes sense. However, I have a brand new macbook pro 2016 with USB 3.1 and Thunderbolt 3 connectors, and the audio was glitching under USB recording just 2 tracks. All of the drivers and software were up to date.

I would not doubt this is an apple issue. The stupid Mail app doesn't work right on this computer.

MBP TB USB-C is not properly working, constant drop outs, sample rate issues etc. I use the USB-C-USB apple connector to connect the UFX+, but very poor performance, I tried several other adapters, but no luck. Pathetic. I could spend another 100bucks for USB-C to Thunderbolt2 adapter with Thunderbolt 2 cable, just to find out other issues. However, Thunderbolt 2 was dead from the beginning, maximum length 3m, I never saw the optical cables... rarely saw TB-copper - too expensive, and then there was USB3. As Apple moved to phones and pads, MBP is a dying concept.

10 (edited by RobAnderson 2019-03-01 00:07:07)

Howdy folks

I am having the same problem: UFX+ with dropouts in both record and playback on USB - even with just two tracks and nothing else connected.  MacBook Pro 2017 OS12.6.  Driver and firmware for UFX are up to date.

Got Thunderbolt to work, I think - took me a minute to realise that it's a completely separate driver download and software control.  Haven't yet been able to put it through its paces fully, but playback with two tracks seemed OK.

Any ideas?