1 (edited by fknchino 2017-02-21 17:22:26)

Topic: Looking to expand inputs via ADAT

Hi.

As a new user of the HDSPe AIO, I've been digging around for some potential Analog / Digital converters to expand my inputs.

After doing a bit of research, it seems that there isn't many options that serves solely an A/D conversion via adat, without the additional preamps etc! Or at least I'm having difficulty trying to find the names for them!

I've also noticed that the prices on the units don't seem to loose much of its value over time, I could be wrong but from what I see, 'high end' converters dating from late 90's to early 2000's seem to hold.

A while back, I used a UAD Apollo Quad with an Alesis AI3, I vaguely recall being disappointed with how it sounded -the A13 being dull and the Apollo Quad being too bright.. unfortunately that was then and I've sold both those units.

The Apogee Rosetta 800 and RME ADI-8 AE are both for sale locally for a 'reasonable' price.
As far as reviews go, they are praised for being 'great sounding' units, albeit, both fairly old and still fetching the 1k  mark

Question time.
Has anyone used or come across any 'tried and tested' combinations with the HDSPe AIO?
Will latency be compromised? (low latency was the selling point to purchase the hdspe)
Word clock.. Will I have to purchase the Word Clock Module, for jitter reduction, etc..?
There is an AES I/O in the Rosetta 800 unit, hypothetically, what would be examples to utilize my setup?
..Can somebody suggest any other units?
What are the main differences between the converters back then and the current ones, besides price?

Sorry if these are vague questions but I'm very interested to know how these units justify themselves, in terms of quality, otherwisem I may aswel go back to my Rane SL3 DJ interface (6 balanced I/O 24/48khz via USB 1ms buffer.. woo)

Re: Looking to expand inputs via ADAT

I have the ADI8 AE but I paid way less if I remember correctly (400 or 600 I can check if needed). 1k Is really steep I think. But that said it is a great unit and a very neutral sound (RME says that themselves too, about all their gear btw). No wordclock needed just one or 2 adat cables depending on your needed setup and no wordclock is not better, but worse in this setup.
That said the ADI8 DS which is of the same age has better input converters, the AE was the cheaper version with slightly worse S/N AD.
Cheers

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632

vinark wrote:

I have the ADI8 AE but I paid way less if I remember correctly (400 or 600 I can check if needed). 1k Is really steep I think. But that said it is a great unit and a very neutral sound (RME says that themselves too, about all their gear btw). No wordclock needed just one or 2 adat cables depending on your needed setup and no wordclock is not better, but worse in this setup.
That said the ADI8 DS which is of the same age has better input converters, the AE was the cheaper version with slightly worse S/N AD.
Cheers

Thanks for the quick reply.. 1k AUD i meant.. What do you mean no wordclock is not better, but worse in this setup?

Adat sync is better then WC.
How much is that in €?? sorry no time to check

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632

vinark wrote:

Adat sync is better then WC.
How much is that in €?? sorry no time to check

roughly 700 euro

It's fairly easy to bypass the preamps on the ADA8000. There is plenty of documentation on the internet. I have two that I did this to but am only using one of them right now.

In this configuration the xlr inputs become non functional while the 1/4" line inputs directly drive the ADC buffers on the way to the ADCs. So you get to use the preamp of your choice.