1 (edited by cankirca 2017-02-25 15:47:20)

Topic: My UFX+ is overheating, any thoughts?

Hello,

I got UFX+ about 2 weeks ago. From day of purchase, my unit overheating after 20-25 minutes working time. Is it normal?

Here some details:
1. My unit placed in the rackmount, connected to computer with USB 3.0 port, latest firmware and drivers on Windows 7/10 (dual boot system).
2. Only the left and bottom of the unit is overheating, the area where the microphone inputs are located.
3. Phantom power disabled on channels 9-10-11 and 12, there is no jac attached to the unit (mic channels 9-12).
4. The temperature in this zone is as high as you can feel with your hands.

Any idea would be useful to me.

Regards.

2 (edited by ramses 2017-02-25 16:07:29)

Re: My UFX+ is overheating, any thoughts?

The UFX+ becomes hotter compared to UFX.

I am using the UFX+ also in a rack together with 2 other devices.

I recommend you to take 1 RU more than required this gives you the possibility to leave more room
- between UFX+ and rest of devices
- between all other devices

What also helps is to mount the devices into the rack in a way that
- the longest unit is placed on the bottom and
- the shorter the units the more you put it onto the top of the stack in the rack

By this you get a better airflow towards the top, so that heat can better dissipate ...

Maybe also helpful not to take racks with too much depth ... For the UFX+ and also the XTC 23cm depth are fine.

http://www.tonstudio-forum.de/index.php/Attachment/1861-03-Rack-Photo-JPG/

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

ramses wrote:

The UFX+ becomes hotter compared to UFX.

I am using the UFX+ also in a rack together with 2 other devices.

I recommend you to take 1 RU more than required this gives you the possibility to leave more room
- between UFX+ and rest of devices
- between all other devices

http://www.tonstudio-forum.de/index.php/Attachment/1861-03-Rack-Photo-JPG/

The bottom of the UFX+ is completely blank, there are about 6 RU on the bottom of the unit. Maybe I can take 1 RU at top of the unit.

Thanks Ramses, I would have to say I was very glad to read your comments everytime.

If you have devices under the UFX+ then their heat will accumulate to the heat of the UFX+ itself.

If you want to place the UFX+ at the bottom:
    then you need little space towards bottom and ca. 1.5cm (~0,6 inch) to the next one.

If you want to place the UFX+ in the middle or top of the rack:
   then leave 1.5cm (~0,6 inch) to the next one below and above

This way it works well for me.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

ramses wrote:

If you have devices under the UFX+ then their heat will accumulate to the heat of the UFX+ itself.

If you want to place the UFX+ at the bottom:
    then you need little space towards bottom and ca. 1.5cm (~0,6 inch) to the next one.

If you want to place the UFX+ in the middle or top of the rack:
   then leave 1.5cm (~0,6 inch) to the next one below and above

This way it works well for me.

Of course, totally understand.
I will try it now.

Thanks my friend.