Topic: Stupid stereo problem with 9632

Hello all,

I've just bought a pair of Yamaha HS7 active monitors to plug in my 9632 via XLR cables. The only problem is that the right channel SOUNDS much louder than the left one. Both levels look equal in Totalmix. Volume on the monitors is set to +4db, everything else is identical.
Funny thing is, when I mute the left channel (analog1), and pan the louder right one (analog2) all the way to the left in Totalmix, it sounds quieter!
I've also been swapping cables to check for a cable problem (both are identical and brand new), but no change: the monitor plugged on the right output is always louder.

I know I'm missing something stupid, can anyone help me out? Thanks.

Re: Stupid stereo problem with 9632

Check your playback. Maybe it routes the same music multiple times to this particular channel.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Thanks for your answer ramses. Do you mean in the matrix? There's just analog 1 /2 routed to outputs 1 and 2. I have a really simple setup.
And the plot thickens: the monitor plugged to the left output of the breakout cable gets serious ground loop (as in mouse/resizing..) whereas the right ouput is silent. Strange! Maybe the card is faulty... After all, it's 12 years old...

For me i.e. it happened often, that I got distortion on both monitors, because my Music Player MusicBee has default settings, to send all 8 channels of a potential sourround setup to 8 Playback channels, which all were send to main out.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

well I'm afraid whatever the source, the volume is different, as in REALLY different: to get it centered i have to pan to L78! Headphones is fine BTW... there seems to be a problem with that left output connector. I wonder if it's the breakout cable which is the problem. I had no problem of the sort with my RCA-connected passive monitors. But how to test it? I'm not going to buy a new one just to be sure...

Find a technician that can handle a ohm meter to check the breakout cable...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

yeah I guess I could do that.
BTW I found the answer for the ground loop, it was just that the speakers were not plugged in the same circuit: now all is well.

I'll try the ohm meter test, thanks Matthias.

So I tested the cable and all appears to be fine. I checked in the manual the pin assignment of the XLR breakout cable and I realized the Line Out left cable (and right as well) used some pins that were not used in the RCA cable, namely pin 7 and 8. MAtthias, do you think that there could be a problem in the card that makes Pin 7 less conductive? Is that possible?
I checked the card but obviously I didn't know where to start testing.

I mean, there's such a big difference in volume that there has  to be a problem somewhere...

7 and 8 are needed for balanced transmission, and unconnected with unbalanced. If 7 or 8 don't work you get typically 6 dB less level. I have never heard of this specific problem with the 9632, but if the L- output capacitor (220µF/25V, C166) is dead then this could happen. A check would be easy for a technician as he could check the level before and after the capacitor.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

That is precious information Matthias, thank you. 6db sounds pretty much like the difference I hear between the two speakers. Now, I see the capacitors you mentioned on the card, I will test them with a multimeter to see if one is dead.
Is it possible to test them on the board or do I have to unsolder them before? Don't worry, I'm not taking any chance, my brother is a physicist and he will help me with this.

I have a feeling this is what the problem is anyway. Thank you very much for your help. You guys rock!

If all else fails there is no problem connecting the RCA out to your monitors with a proper cable. You will loose nothing quality wise.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632

Yes of course. But I like solving problems wink

Did you already switch the Monitors? I have Yamaha MSP7 monitors and sometimes one of them does change its volume by itself (not sure why). They have stepped input trim controls - I need to set them back one step and then set them back to the previous value - done - working again. Weird but doesn't happen all the time.

14 (edited by jansen 2017-04-20 09:41:44)

Happy to report that everything works perfectly this morning! And I haven't done anything, just put back the card into place... Weird. It's playing tricks on me!
Nevermind, I can now enjoy full and equal volume on both monitors! No ground loop, no hiss, nothing! Bliss!

Thank you RME and everyone for the help, now off to making music! smile

edit 20/04/17

see next post

15 (edited by jansen 2017-04-21 21:36:19)

(edit)

never mind me, the capacitors are fine. It's the 15-pin connector that has to be moved around to provide full contact. The card is showing its age I guess.