1 (edited by fripholm 2017-02-19 13:30:47)

Topic: Snapshots and Channel Layouts...

TMFX v1.40, UFX+ (latest drivers) on Windows 7 Pro

It seems TMFX is not storing channel layouts correctly along with the Snapshots as it seems to randomly change the layout when loading snapshots.

I'm using a Korg nanoKONTROL as monitor controller using CC messages as explained in the manual chapter 28.5. When the channel layout changes and some channels disappear from the output row, a defined knob on the nanoKontrol moves the wrong fader depending on which and how much channels are hidden. Obviously, the channel layout must not change for a given knob to control its defined fader.

The file "last.FirefaceUFX+1.xml" in my "All Users"-Folder is write-protected and I only change this attribute if I need to make changes to one of my defined snapshots. This way I can assure that TMFX always starts with the same settings. My main Snapshot is on slot 1 and it's always loaded first when Windows restarts.

Today I made changes to this first snapshot and thinned out the channels shown by hiding a few of the not used channels. I saved this snapshot overwriting slot 1 and made an exact copy of that in slot 7, changed two or three routings and saved these changes again to slot 7 but DID NOT change the channel layout with regards to the saved snapshot in slot 1. When re-loading Slot 1, the channel layout changed dramatically and a lot more channels were un-hidden (but not all!), rendering some of the defined knobs on the nanoKontrol useless. Going back to slot 7 restores the previous channel layout with all the hidden strips.

My current workaround is to use a separate Layout preset that I click on everytime I have to re-load slot 1 but that's cumbersome, to say the least...

In short: The snapshot in slot 1 does not correctly store channel layouts while slot 7 does (I haven't tried others...)

2 (edited by fripholm 2017-02-20 12:14:35)

Re: Snapshots and Channel Layouts...

...anyone?!

It gets even worse:
1) load snapshot from slot 7, make sure slot 1 was active before
2) turn a knob on the control surface which is set to control CC no. 115 on midi channel 10 (should be fader no. 30 in output row)
3) channel fader MADI 7/8 in output row moves
4) click on the saved channel layout preset in slot 1
5) no visible change (!) in the layout of TMFX and no difference in Options > Channel Layout either (not even in the Remote Controller column)
6) turn the same knob on the control surface again
7) channel fader MADI 11 moves - which is the one that's supposed to move

Here's a link to the workspace I'm talking about: https://www.dropbox.com/s/zoqaulchyeb8c … .tmws?dl=0

There's something seriously wrong here.

In general:

- snapshots do not switch the channel layout (for that function the layout presets exist)

- the counting of channels for CC is based on mono channels (not perfect nowadays, but historically implemented that way)

- hidden channels for the respective remote are skipped (so if you hide ADAT 1/2 CC115 will control the fader of MADI 1/2)

- channels that are not available due to higher sample rate (ADAT...) are also skipped

You did not mention it, but it seems you work at 96 kHz. Your workspace also contains a change from mono to stereo. In Snapshot 1 only MADI 8 moves (as mono channel), in Snapshot 7 and 8 MADI 7/8. Additonally you use two layout presets. With Min (Preset 1) MADI 4, 8 and 10 are hidden (mixer, and with this also all remotes), so MADI 11 will be controlled as explained above.

We also think that you used the combination of Snapshot/Layout Preset wrongly. When loading the workspace Layout Preset 1 is not fully active.

We noticed that after loading a workspace the currently loaded Layout Preset is not signalled by the respective button, which adds to the confusion. We plan to change that.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Matthias, danke für's Nachforschen!

In the meantime I've found some of the things you mentioned by myself and managed to change my snapshots accordingly, so that there's no change from mono to stereo (or vice versa) anymore. Now MADI 11 is always controlled by its dedicated knob.

What I still don't get is this:

- snapshots do not switch the channel layout (for that function the layout presets exist)

Snapshots might not switch layout PRESETS but somehow they are certainly able to change the layout, i.e. visible channels. I don't have my UFX+ in front of me at the moment but I remember that in certain snapshots (or in a combination of recalling different snapshots), much more channels are visible than in others.

We also think that you used the combination of Snapshot/Layout Preset wrongly.  When loading the workspace Layout Preset 1 is not fully active.

I have to admit that I just started to be aware of Layout Presets at all. What would be the 'correct' way of using that combination?