Topic: Ext gear with Total mix and Pro Tools

Hi guys,

I know this has been covered a lot but i'm still struggling even after reading lot of posts and see the RME videos...I have a RME FF400 firewire

I wanna send an existing Pro Tools LE track (a recoded voice) into my UA 6176 compressor and record the track processed back in Pro Tools...So nothing fancy or complicated but still doesn't work...I'm really thinking of buying another stuff even though i love the sound and quality of the FF400...

What i'm doing is put total mix in Straight Playback in Total Mix,then go into the track in PT,change the output of the track to say Out 3,take a jack that goes out of the rme output 3 in the 6176 input then output of the 6176 back in say IN3 of the RME FF400..

Then i open a new track in Pro tools with the in set to RME IN3...I have the sound of the voice compressed but sounding really thin and nasty,phasy...it's the same in my roland Space Echo or my Neve 1073 so it(s not the compressor (neither the cables)

I tried a LOT of combination in the Total Mix windows but nothing's changes sad

Any ideas or other topics that could help me?

Thanx

Re: Ext gear with Total mix and Pro Tools

After a check it seems that it's sounding thin and phase directly from the output when i put the headphones in RME out 3

What could it be?

No one?

Re: Ext gear with Total mix and Pro Tools

I think you have problems with roundtrip latency. Google DAW latency compensation. If you have your rough track and processed track playing together, they probably arent in sync and you are experiencing some phase problems because of that...

Note that you may have to manually set the compensation, or use a short burst of sound in the beginning of a track and then record that back in and manually set the tracks toghether...