Topic: Adi-2 Pro - switch from/back spdif coaxial in to spdif optical in

SPDIF COAX input
SPDIF OPTICAL input

I want to use a sonos CP-90
http://www.laaudiofile.com/images/sonos_zp90b.jpg

the CP90 is sending a signal on coax and optical at the same time.

Optical: SONOS -- DSPEAKER Antimode 2.0 Dualcore -- Adi-2 Pro -- poweramp -- SPEAKERS
Coaxial: SONOS -- Adi-2 Pro -- HEADPHONE or poweramp -- Speakers

How can ich switch from coax to optical on the Adi-2 pro
Is there another option or do i have to switch in manual menue 14.1.1 from coax to optical or optical to coax
I think, auto will not work therefore.

Please apologize this question, but i do not have a RME now, just planning to buy it.

Adi-2 Pro, Adi-2 Dac Fs

Re: Adi-2 Pro - switch from/back spdif coaxial in to spdif optical in

You can use a simple cable adapter (as described in the manual) from coax to XLR, then use the AES input, and select that as source for the output PH3/4.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Sorry, i meant always output 1/2 - speakers or PH1/2

Optical: SONOS -- DSPEAKER Antimode 2.0 Dualcore -- Adi-2 Pro -- to output 1/2
Coaxial: SONOS -- Adi-2 Pro -- to output 1/2

Adi-2 Pro, Adi-2 Dac Fs

I have no clue how auto could work in that case.

Also it is no problem to switch within the menu, as the unit remembers the menu choice, so when pushing the Setup button you are immediately able to change the input (as long as you didn't do something different in-between within that menu, of course).

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Great - this is, what i wanted to know.
So it is easy to select. :-)
Thank's a lot Matthias!

Adi-2 Pro, Adi-2 Dac Fs

6 (edited by Viennacalling 2017-03-01 10:06:57)

Changing in the SETUP between INPUT SPDIF COAX and INPUT SPDIF OPTIC is fine.

BUT how can i see on the mainscreen, if i have selected optical or coax input?

Example:
http://prosound.ixbt.com/news/2016/apri … pro-3b.jpg
In the lower right corner i can see
SP 44.1
So it might be optical SPDIF or coax SPDIF

It would be easier if it is not SP (for coax)  and SP (for optical)

Adi-2 Pro, Adi-2 Dac Fs

Limited space. So and Sc are not different for me without reading glasses and a magnifier...I would recommed to quickly change to the Status Screen which tells you everything in detail.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Ther would be spave for 3 letters, not only for 2 letters :-)

So CoS and OpS would be great

3 letters:
https://archiv.rme-audio.de/images/prod … pro_2b.jpg

Using the same name is irritating for me.
But of course, i could switch to another screen, when sitting in front of the unit.
In Hifi-Mode, im am 2 meters away :-(

Adi-2 Pro, Adi-2 Dac Fs

> In Hifi-Mode, im am 2 meters away :-(

Well .. but then you are listening and the unit won't change its settings alone ... I don't see the demand.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

I am sorry, but CoS and OpS are IMHO not intuitive and impossible to guess - they just leave everyone head scratching what that could mean.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

So it is better to use the same word for 2 different cable connections - makes me scratching the head - but it seems to be only me - one person - so it should be fine

Adi-2 Pro, Adi-2 Dac Fs

The idea / intention is not bad.

But then I would use
- SPc for SPDIF coaxial and
- SPo for SPDIF optical

Then "SP" stays the same as before and becomes specified by one letter more.

I tested that there is space for one letter more by choosing 176.4 kHz as sample frequency.
With SPx there should be still 1-2 spaces in front of the sample frequency.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Viennacalling wrote:

So it is better to use the same word for 2 different cable connections - makes me scratching the head - but it seems to be only me - one person - so it should be fine

I think you missed the point. The Status Bar is a quick info, coarse and with limited space. If you want to have the full details you need to use the Status Overview screen.

The three most important screens are there side by side, only one encoder push away: Phones Out 3/4, Status Overview, Dark Volume. I am pretty sure these are also the most often used ones.

Apart from that I think that adding more info in the Status Bar will let the users even more overlook the existing tools. Users that have no clue about digital sync/lock status and sample rates match/mismatch, USB working or not, Emphasis on or not etc etc need to be educated to use that Status Overview screen. Right now the number of users not reading the manual and never having seen this screen at all is much too high.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Maybe i am spoiled rotten because i am using this Dac which shows SOURCE and VOLUME on one screen in large letters, sitting 2 meters away.
http://atcforums.co.uk/otherimages/DAC/Photo0313.jpg

Anyway, thanks for feedback!

Adi-2 Pro, Adi-2 Dac Fs

Well, if you don''t need all the bells and whistles that the ADI-2 Pro offers, but just want a simple 'one switch one button DAC' - then this unit seems not the right one for you. I would miss a lot of features in the unit that you showed - exactly the reason the ADI-2 Pro was developed, BTW.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

RME makes me happy with FW72 Update

Thank you !
I am really happy now!!!

BIG SMILE

Adi-2 Pro, Adi-2 Dac Fs

Thanks Matthias wink

May I ask another question about Adi-2 Pro output setting issues?
I bought a new Adi-2 Pro a few das ago, I found it can feed digital source from SPDIF optical or coaxial, but it can't output through Ph 1/2 or 3/4, or unbalanced TS. I have checked user guide, I think it may be about setting issues, but I can't fix my problem. I need help.

19 (edited by ramses 2017-03-04 15:13:38)

If "AUTO" does not provide the wanted input for phones 3/4 (it follows certain default routing assumptions,
based on whats connected where) then you need to set it manually.

I/O -> Phones Out 3/4 -> Source: AUTO | AES | SPDIF | Analog | USB 1/2 | USB 3/4

You most probably have USB connected, then Auto can not do what you want, and you have to manually change the Basic Mode to 'AD/DA'. Or just pull the USB cable for a test first.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Sorry, one more question:
Is there a possibilty to setup on

PH 1/2  Input SPoptical
and on
PH 3/4 Input SPcoax

or do i have to switch via SETUP every time the input, when i change from PH 1/2 to PH 3/4

I could not solve this question - thank you

Adi-2 Pro, Adi-2 Dac Fs

Manual chapter 22.2:
only one of the 2 SPDIF channels can be used.

You see it also in the diagrams of chapter 17.*, there is always a Selector behind Coaxial and Optical SPDIF ...

Ok thank you.
It was clear for me, that only coax or optical is possible.
But i thought by switching from 1/2 to 3/4 it could be predefined.

Thank you ramses.

Adi-2 Pro, Adi-2 Dac Fs

At least this way I understand it from manual and the diagrams, hope I didn't misinterpret this.

25 (edited by Viennacalling 2017-03-09 14:23:24)

Just got a great info
Using a SPDIF COAX - AES Adaptercable it should work

So i have
1 input SPDIF optical
1 input AES

Just ordered an adaptercable - hope it works

Adi-2 Pro, Adi-2 Dac Fs

cool !

Viennacalling wrote:

Just got a great info
Using a SPDIF COAX - AES Adaptercable it should work

So i have
1 input SPDIF optical
1 input AES

Just ordered an adaptercable - hope it works

Hello Viennacalling,

Unless you're using an active converter, such as the following:

https://www.pacrad.com/henry-engineerin … h-2x6.html

...I think you're going to encounter quite a bit of signal degradation / loss (when it comes to passively converting SPDIF to AES).

Nelson

I ordered this one

https://www.thomann.de/at/prod_AR_360679.html

Is it the wrong way?

Adi-2 Pro, Adi-2 Dac Fs

Hello,

looks good to me...

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

nelson_a wrote:

...I think you're going to encounter quite a bit of signal degradation / loss (when it comes to passively converting SPDIF to AES).

There is no 'signal degradation / loss'. If the sender has a problematic output stage all that could happen is that there will be no Sync, but unstable Sync/Lock/No Lock state with clicks and pops. The ADI-2 Pro clearly shows that. In nearly all cases such a connection will just work, which is why this cable adapter is mentioned in all our manuals.

Please explain why there could be 'quite a bit of signal degradation / loss', which reads to me like 'change in sound'.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:
nelson_a wrote:

There is no 'signal degradation / loss'. If the sender has a problematic output stage all that could happen is that there will be no Sync, but unstable Sync/Lock/No Lock state with clicks and pops. The ADI-2 Pro clearly shows that. In nearly all cases such a connection will just work, which is why this cable adapter is mentioned in all our manuals.

Please explain why there could be 'quite a bit of signal degradation / loss', which reads to me like 'change in sound'.

Hello MC,

There are a few big differences between SPDIF and AES:

1. SPDIF is unbalanced, whereas AES is balanced.

2. SPDIF utilizes 75 Ohms of impedance, whereas AES utilizes 110 Ohms of impedance.

3. SPDIF output level is 0.5 volts, whereas AES is 2 - 7 volts.

4. SPDIF max current is 8 milli-amps, whereas AES is 64 milli-amps.

...there are also some subtle differences

1. SPDIF and AES utilize different sub-code formats, so a passive converter would not be able to properly convert SPDIF to AES (or vice-versa).

2. Going from AES to SPDIF is not the same both ways. In other words, going from SPDIF to AES is easier than going from AES to SPDIF.

The big issue with passive conversion is that, though impedance is easily taken care of with a passive converter, the level and drive differences between AES and SPDIF are not.

Note: You can read more about the technical differences between AES and SPDIF here: http://www.rane.com/note149.html

Lastly, I've heard it said many times that AES tends to sound cleaner than SPDIF (which makes sense given that AES is balanced whereas SPDIF is not). I'd imagine this phenomena grows the greater the length of the cables being used as well as the greater the amount of signal interference.

So, a cleaner sound (compared to a not so clean sound), will color things differently, and hence sound different.

Now all of that being said, the OP may not care about those minor differences. But to say there are no differences and that everything will sound exactly the same, is simply not true.

Nelson

1 to 4 - don't matter in this case.
1 - doesn't matter at all as the ADI-2 Pro will receive and decode the signal no matter which subcode it has (true for all RME devices).
2 - again doesn't matter here. Apart from that, in real-world cases there is no preference of what is easier. Both ways could fail for several reasons.

Lastly - so here we are at what I thought you were heading to in your post.  Let me make this clear: Sound differences between digital formats do not exist. At least in this forum.

> Lastly, I've heard it said many times that AES tends to sound cleaner than SPDIF (which makes sense given that AES is balanced whereas SPDIF is not).

No, that doesn't make any sense. Please provide scientific proof about said sound changes, or stop spreading rumours and misleading statements.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Purely in theory, balanced is less than unbalanced...

MB Pro - 2 X FireFace 400, FF800 & DigiFace USB
ADAT gear: Korg, Behri, Fostex, Alesis...

cyrano wrote:

Purely in theory, balanced is less than unbalanced...

Exactly!

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
Babyface pro fs, HDSP9652+ADI-8AE, HDSP9632

MC wrote:

1 to 4 - don't matter in this case.
1 - doesn't matter at all as the ADI-2 Pro will receive and decode the signal no matter which subcode it has (true for all RME devices).
2 - again doesn't matter here. Apart from that, in real-world cases there is no preference of what is easier. Both ways could fail for several reasons.

Lastly - so here we are at what I thought you were heading to in your post.  Let me make this clear: Sound differences between digital formats do not exist. At least in this forum.

> Lastly, I've heard it said many times that AES tends to sound cleaner than SPDIF (which makes sense given that AES is balanced whereas SPDIF is not).

No, that doesn't make any sense. Please provide scientific proof about said sound changes, or stop spreading rumours and misleading statements.

Hello MC,

If I'm wrong (as I've heard these things more than once from multiple users), my apologies.

Nelson

36 (edited by ramses 2017-03-13 19:22:28)

> as I've heard these things more than once from multiple users

Swarm intelligence can fail badly. Roumors spread quicker than real well proven facts as thorough and proper testing requires time and experience (proper testing methods, profound knowledge, ...).

37 (edited by Viennacalling 2017-03-16 20:55:20)

I am a little bit confused now.

Hearing via SPDIF - on the bottom right is shown AES
Why?
I am hearing via SPDI and not via AES

https://picload.org/image/rlcpocpr/img_5385.jpg

Please can anyone explain me, why there is not shown SPDIF instead of AES

Adi-2 Pro, Adi-2 Dac Fs

The bottom right shows the CURRENT CLOCK SOURCE, not the input signal for the output. Which obviously wouldn't work as you have more than one output and can choose two different sources for them.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

OK, thank you Matthias!

Adi-2 Pro, Adi-2 Dac Fs