1 (edited by bitman 2017-03-17 14:09:13)

Topic: [Solved] Strange issue daw extenal insert using Analog 1+2 stereo pair

Hi,

I have a 9632 pci card hooked to a ada8000 via adat for i/o the output to the speakers are output on ADAT 1+2

I have been using adat 7+8 stereo pair as the source and destination for an external insert in SONAR with great success.
I thought it would be good to make an xlr breakout cable and use analog 1+2 for the external insert to free up the 7+8 pair on the ada8000.

My cable works inasmuch as I can connect a stereo line out source to the analog ins and the resulting audio is stereo and good.
I can also drive the analog 1+2 output into a mixer and the signal is also good and stereo.

So the card and my cable (which I have buzzed out over and over) are good.

But if I use the analog 1+2 i/o pair as the external insert in the daw, the return sound is really weird, mostly all on one side and really down in level. if I crank up the external insert return level something somewhere begins to feedback and oscillate as if there is a loop. If I increase the gain through the hardware processor on the processor the oscillation will happen also.

This happens on the smallest test projects with only one track so I know I'm not using that pair elsewhere. As a matter of fact, SONAR will not let you select a pair that is used elsewhere anyway.

As far as I can guess, the oscillation in occurring on the rme card as if though shalt not use the analog 1+2 for insert jobs.

Windows has no output on the card whatsoever.

Help! :-)

:Ron

Re: [Solved] Strange issue daw extenal insert using Analog 1+2 stereo pair

Well Well. After viewing a different thread here entitled Crazy stereo problem (or some such title) and having the output caps called out as a possible fix and even including pcb designations for them, I pulled the card and saw the output caps are puffy - naughty naughty RME.

I know that cap manufacturer from a group of DELL P5 desktops that we sold to one of our good customers. One by one, seemingly month by month the video cards would fail. It was these manufacturer's electrolytics that would fail in twos.
Replacing them that would fix em.

I have the card out and will take it to my shop and swap those puffy caps out.
That would explain what's going on here.

Re: [Solved] Strange issue daw extenal insert using Analog 1+2 stereo pair

I replaced two "puffy" caps 220uf / 25v and now the analog 1+2 outputs a both working as they should.