1 (edited by krogalon 2017-03-06 18:19:49)

Topic: Fireface UCX not found when using Thunderbolt 2 Dock

Hello,

I'm trying to use my Fireface UCX on a MacBook Pro 2015 with a Thunderbolt 2 Dock. The problem is: when I plug the thunderbolt cable in, the UCX is never recognized right away, I always have to pull it's USB plug out and put it back in for the drivers to find it.

I've already tried two different docks (Belkin and Elgato Thunderbolt 2 docks), with the same result. Which didn't surprise me that much, because they seem to be very similar and probably use the same reference design.

Is this a known problem with the Fireface UXC? It seems to be UCX specific. An Apogee Duet 2 connected to the same dock(s) is recognized instantly.

The UCX connected directly to the Laptop is also recognized instantly at boot, btw.

I really hope this can be fixed, I'm happy with both the UCX and the dock, I just wish they would work better together </whine> ;-)

I've tried both the 3.01 as well as the 2.20 drivers, same result. macOS 10.12.3.

Regards,
Stefan

2 (edited by aidinmolouki 2017-03-12 12:46:24)

Re: Fireface UCX not found when using Thunderbolt 2 Dock

Out of curiosity, why do you want to use a Thunderbolt dock with UCX? Why don't you just use the USB port? I have read many times that the quality of RME USB products is already close enough to the products with Thunderbolt or PCI.

I am asking this because I am planning on buying a Mac Mini and an RME UCX. But UCX, unlike UFX+, doesn't have Thunderbolt port. I have been told it would not make a difference even if it did because RME products are already very quality audio interfaces. That said, I am concerned if Thunderbolt docks will increase latency because they are not a direct connection. Personally I would not go for such docks.

Hi,

only out of convenience. The idea is to have all devices connected to the Dock and only use one cable to connect the dock to the laptop.

I could not observe a difference in latency or achievable lowest buffer setting when connecting to the dock versus directly to the laptop.

Until now I just assumed that the extra step via thunderbolt won't introduce additional latency, since thunderbolt is "more or less a direct extension of the PCIe bus", to which also the Laptop-internal USB controllers are connected, as far as I know. But I will do some more research to understand if that's really the case.

Maybe someone knowledgable can chime in?

Cheers,
Stefan

4 (edited by ramses 2017-03-12 16:32:18)

aidinmolouki wrote:

Out of curiosity, why do you want to use a Thunderbolt dock with UCX? Why don't you just use the USB port? I have read many times that the quality of RME USB products is already close enough to the products with Thunderbolt or PCI.

I am asking this because I am planning on buying a Mac Mini and an RME UCX. But UCX, unlike UFX+, doesn't have Thunderbolt port. I have been told it would not make a difference even if it did because RME products are already very quality audio interfaces. That said, I am concerned if Thunderbolt docks will increase latency because they are not a direct connection. Personally I would not go for such docks.

Thunderbolt is like an extension to PCIe ...

If you look at these figures you can expect tad a little bit more compared to USB3.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/96192996/tonstudio-forum.de/blog/RME%20UFX%2B/UFX%2B_UFX_RayDAT-Latencies.xlsx.jpg

The latency values are those reported from Cubase.

This is the original article: http://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/inde … 8-RME-UFX/

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

ramses wrote:

Thunderbolt is like an extension to PCIe ...

The latency values are those reported from Cubase.

This is the original article: http://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/inde … 8-RME-UFX/

Thank you very much. Very informative.

krogalon wrote:

I'm trying to use my Fireface UCX on a MacBook Pro 2015 with a Thunderbolt 2 Dock. The problem is: when I plug the thunderbolt cable in, the UCX is never recognized right away, I always have to pull it's USB plug out and put it back in for the drivers to find it.

Is this a known problem with the Fireface UXC? It seems to be UCX specific. An Apogee Duet 2 connected to the same dock(s) is recognized instantly.

I think the Duet 2 is a Class Compliant (means driver-less) device. Set the UCX into CC mode and see if it also gets detected immediately.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

7 (edited by krogalon 2017-03-20 17:39:50)

MC wrote:
krogalon wrote:

I think the Duet 2 is a Class Compliant (means driver-less) device. Set the UCX into CC mode and see if it also gets detected immediately.

I'm pretty sure I've tried that with the UCX, but the result was the same.

I switched to a Fireface 802 in the meantime, which has the same problem. I wanted to try to switch it to CC mode, but it seems that it sets the "normal" mode when I reconnect it to my Mac.

It's not that big of a problem for me to connect it directly to a USB port (or switch the FF off an on again, which will make the OS recognize it), but maybe there is something that can be done in the driver so that the dock recognizes it right away? I would appreciate it, maybe I can do something to help debug the problem.

EDIT: I got rid of the dock after all - it seems like a nice idea, but gave more headache than worth ;-)

Hello,

since my last attempt to use the Fireface UCX and 802 with the Elgato Thunderbolt 2 dock, there has been the release of a new MacOS version and new USB firmware for the RME interfaces.

So I decided to give it another try, and yes - my Fireface 802, which is connected to the dock via USB, is now recognized immediately when I connect my 2015 MacbookPro to the dock - nice!