Topic: What SRC chip is the ADI-2 Pro using?

Hello,

I was wondering what SRC chip is being used within the ADI-2 Pro (as I can't seem to find that information online / in the ADI-2 Pro manual).

I'd assume that since the ADI-2 Pro is using Asahi Kasei for both its AD and DA, that it'd also be using a Asahi Kasei SRC chip as well, but I just wanted to know for certain.

Thank you,
Nelson

Re: What SRC chip is the ADI-2 Pro using?

So no one knows?

I find that a bit odd, considering that we know what AD, DA and even capacitors the ADI-2 Pro is using, but yet no one knows what SRC chip (whether it's RME's own design or from Asahi Kasei), is being used.

Nelson

I think it's the AKM AK4127VF

4 (edited by Viennacalling 2017-03-12 17:50:45)

Yes
http://forum.doctorhead.ru/index.php?ap … _id=150524
http://forum.doctorhead.ru/index.php?ap … _id=150526
http://www.akm.com/akm/en/product/datas … o=AK4127VF

Source: http://forum.doctorhead.ru/index.php?showtopic=34094

Adi-2 Pro, Adi-2 Dac Fs

jchan wrote:

I think it's the AKM AK4127VF

Thank you Jchan and Viennacalling.

That being said, it's incredibly unfortunate that RME decided to use an old SRC, yet at the same time, went with new everything else (AD, DA, capacitors, PCB, etc).

Especially considering that Asahi Kasei had a new SRC - released in 2015.

Nelson

> That being said, it's incredibly unfortunate that RME decided to use an old SRC, [...]
> Especially considering that Asahi Kasei had a new SRC - released in 2015.

Which one you mean and why do you think its unfortune ?

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

nelson_a wrote:

That being said, it's incredibly unfortunate that RME decided to use an old SRC

That chip does exactly what it should do within the concept of the ADI-2 Pro. Its quality is superb, no matter how 'old' it is. It is field proven and matured, considered bug-free, works reliable and solid. Thanks to the second SteadyClock that we implemented only for the SRC input signal it works even better than in many other manufacturer's implementations. On the other hand the new chip is more expensive, and adds no features that would help within its current implementation as simple AES/SPDIF front-end.

So once again tell me why it is 'incredibly unfortunate'?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

If I remember back my trouble with TI XIO2200A ... this chip has been used for so many firewire cards and it was broken.
Its surely a wise decision to use proven hardware.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

MC wrote:
nelson_a wrote:

That being said, it's incredibly unfortunate that RME decided to use an old SRC

That chip does exactly what it should do within the concept of the ADI-2 Pro. Its quality is superb, no matter how 'old' it is. It is field proven and matured, considered bug-free, works reliable and solid. Thanks to the second SteadyClock that we implemented only for the SRC input signal it works even better than in many other manufacturer's implementations. On the other hand the new chip is more expensive, and adds no features that would help within its current implementation as simple AES/SPDIF front-end.

So once again tell me why it is 'incredibly unfortunate'?

Hello MC,

The reason why I stated that it was unfortunate, is that practically everything else on the ADI-2 Pro is new (ex. why use new converters, if the "old" converters on the ADI-2 work just as well).

As for the new SRC from Asahi Kasei, it does actually add new features that might be useful to some.

For example, the SRC on the ADI-2 Pro can perform sample rate conversion up to 192 Khz, whereas the new SRC from Asahi AK4137EQ (released around the same time as the new converters used in the ADI-2 Pro), can perform sample rate conversions up to 786 Khz (unleashing the full potential of the ADI-2 Pro).

Furthermore, given that SRC is a computationally difficult task, I'd imagine that new chips (released in 2015) have more power / capabilities than the old SRC chips (released in 2010), used by the ADI-2 Pro.

Nelson

I see a big gap between 'incredibly unfortunate' and 'might be useful to some'.

Personally I don't think upsampling to 768 kHz in hardware makes any sense. If you want to go this route use HQPlayer to do so. It has the options a hardware SRC could never deliver, and makes (at least) most sense out of such an application as possible.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

I see a big gap between 'incredibly unfortunate' and 'might be useful to some'.

Personally I don't think upsampling to 768 kHz in hardware makes any sense. If you want to go this route use HQPlayer to do so. It has the options a hardware SRC could never deliver, and makes (at least) most sense out of such an application as possible.

Hello MC,

Thank you for the suggestion about HQPlayer.

Nelson