1 (edited by knuckle47 2017-03-07 05:17:08)

Topic: Baby Steps: adventures of an old guy with new technology

Safe to safe my 1st computer was a VIC 20 followed by a Commodore 64 with cassette tape storage. That was 1981.  I'd always updated my equipment and my motorcycles knowing it's cheaper to add a few hundred here and there rather than make those monster payments due to no value left In The obsolete equipment.

This is how I find myself today with the UFX+ and a Z270 i7700k.  I can tell you that as a guitar player an not an engineer these steps have always been more challenging for me. Before jumping on the z270 bandwagon I called Asus to discuss ram and the erroneous information was no help.  My plans were not compatible with their new board.  I took the plunge regardless and set 32gb of ddr4 3600 Corsair and, a thunderbolt ex3  I/O card and a 1tb 960pro ssd.  Added the 2tb,3td,and 4tb drives from the old computer and I use them for projects, libraries and backup.

The most confusing area of install was the thunderbolt mechanics.  Since the I/o card is t3 the UFX+ is T2 and cables have confusing pin outs like usb 3.1 , type -c, mini dvi and I was always a days shipping form getting the power turned on for breakin. And Ramses generously advised that the adapter was going to be the way to tie it all together.  Safe to say. Once the bios was updated to 0801, it all linked together as if I really knew what I was doing.

Anyone looking to go thunderbolt, read the setups detailed here and be alerted to the potential issues so you Weill save the frustrations possible.

Mine worked .perfectly for the second the power was applied.  The white glowing led on the UFX+ was the giveaway .  My record latencies at 32 buffer is under 1.6 ms and works clean!! I do not record I that region though...it shows how well the performance is going to get. All in all it was not cheap but it works wonderfully.  As a filler, I bought the Babyface  Pro while waiting for the release date of The UFX +.  Used it twice.  So far..... it's Proving to have gone much better that I'd expected.
Great quality. With 3553 hours of recording on Cubase 9, there's some room.

Babyface Pro, UFX+ via Thunderbolt, Win 10, Cubase 9.5 Pro, Asus Z270 i7700k Guitarist-1961

Re: Baby Steps: adventures of an old guy with new technology

Hello,

Looking to connect Thunderbolt 3 on Gigabyte board GA-x99P-SLI to my Fireface 800 (firewire 800).. Any ideas?

I thought maybe I could go with the Mac TB2>Firewire adapter but I guess TB2 and TB3 are not the same plug?

Thanks for any suggestions!

3 (edited by knuckle47 2017-03-10 19:25:19)

I've read here on the forum that the MAC adapter does not work with the Thunderbolt.  Going off the top of my head but search thunderbolt here and read up on it.  I was hoping to be ready to start my interface within a few days  of when it arrived but the cable confusion set me back a few delivery days. I also have 3 extra types of USB-c, USB 3.1 and combinations of both ... well, maybe the next cell phone will fit something wink

Babyface Pro, UFX+ via Thunderbolt, Win 10, Cubase 9.5 Pro, Asus Z270 i7700k Guitarist-1961

According to unofficial information found in the web the Apple adapter will start to work with a Thunderbolt NVM firmware of version 18. Meanwhile there have been several posts of users using this adapter under Windows with 'PCs'. As my own Dell XPS15 is still on version 16 the Apple adapter is not working for me.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME