Topic: HDSP Madi only lock, never sync

Hello from Hamburg.
I am using 3 independent recording systems on my recording truck.
They all consist of a WIN 10 PC (i5), a HDSP Madi card and NUENDO or NUENDO live.
THese 3 Systems are fed from a Soundcraft VI4, equipped with an extra optical Madi card for recording. For distribution of the Madi signal between the systems I use a RME Madi Bridge.
Everything worked fine for a few years. Now all of a sudden 1 HDSP card never shows "sync" - only "lock" after start.
I have to turn down the system several times and sometimes it syncs after a while- but not always.
Any ideas?

Rolf, Hamburg
4xHDSPMadi, 3xRaydat, MadiBridge, ADI4DD
NUENDO, PROTOOLS HD
www.recordingtruck.de

Re: HDSP Madi only lock, never sync

Reseating and cleaning the contacts of the problem card might fix it. Heat can cause subtle movement of the card.
Only the obvious. Broken madi cable, defective optical receiver in card. Defective send and defective madi card. By swapping cables and cards you could find out which part is causing it.
Also to exclude software you could pop in a clean disk with a new windows install. If that fixes it it is simple software issue.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632

Hi recordingtruck
Vinark makes some good suggestions, but I doubt a Windows reinstall would help.  Madi optical hardware can be sensitive to dust buildup. 

In the RME panel, is Madi still selected as the clock source? Have you tried clocking via word clock with wcinput from the Vi or another PC?

BTW, do you have a business website for your truck? I would be interested to see your design / install.
Regards
Simon

Madiface XT, Madiface, 3x Micstasy, ADI8QS
Sequoia 17, W10 x64
https://bsound.co.nz/tools-nix

Thank you for your ideas!
@Vinark: I doublechecked wiring- I cleaned the contacts. Problem remains.
@Simon: Yes- Madi is still selected. WCL shows exactly the same issue.

Now I stole a HDSP Madicard from my portable system- and it works. Conclusion: It seems to be the card. Now I inserted the "defective" card into the portable System- and it works fine in that PC. (All my systems run WIN 10 and NUENDO or NUENDO live)

I have no clue- both cards are working now but- why???

Rolf, Hamburg
4xHDSPMadi, 3xRaydat, MadiBridge, ADI4DD
NUENDO, PROTOOLS HD
www.recordingtruck.de

If you now put it back again? Still not working? If not, on a hardware level I can only think of a power supply issue, but a very maybe it is, cause I would expect more issues with the PC with a failing PSU.
And maybe just a clean driver install would help (more likely).
And can you leave it as it is now with the swapped cards? If that continues to work, perfect. If something fails now you will know if it the same machine or the same card that fails! Which will narrow it down enormously!

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632

Changing cards resets the PCI bus?

MB Pro - 2 X FireFace 400, FF800 & DigiFace USB
ADAT gear: Korg, Behri, Fostex, Alesis...