Topic: ADI-2 Pro + Fireface 800?

What's the best way connecting those two together keeping the best signal paths? I want the sound qualities of the ADI-2 Pro and the FF800 mainly for using DIGIchek and Total mix and occasionally it's mic preamps.

Create aggregate device with FF800 with ADI-2 Pro as clock source?

SPDIF cables between ADI-2 Pro (Int) FF800 (slave) and ADI-2 Pro SPDIF return AD/DA mode / DIG thru?

Is any of those ways degrading the signal?

Hm. Thanks.

Re: ADI-2 Pro + Fireface 800?

The SPDIF I/O connection will be easiest & fully functional as long as you do not need higher than 192kHz sample rate.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

3 (edited by jchan 2017-03-20 21:52:55)

Thanks, 192 will do for a few years more i guess. I'm Still at 48khz in radio tv which is what I do most smile

So the correct config then would be?

Connecting the SPDIF I / O

And then?

Gah, understand if noone have the effort to explain..

ADI-2 Pro set Clock INT

FF800 Set "SPDIF IN" =(Coax) Clock mode = (auto-sync)

ADI-2 Pro set to AD/DA or DigThru?

I think what puzzles me is who's controlling who if I run Pro Tools with FF800 as interface but slave to the ADI-2 Pro...for conversion.. will there be SRC going on or will I have to manually set the ADI-2 to the session sample rate.. gah. Hate digital, wish I had stuck with 4-track porta studio..

smile
Help...

4 (edited by jchan 2017-03-20 21:59:57)

And why is the ADI-2 Pro sample rate falling when I set the clock source to Auto? Clock fight between the ff800? ADI-2 Pro Says "SPc 30.0"

Need backup..

smile

One unit should be master (internal) clock, and the other should sync to SPDIF In. It doesn't matter which one is set as internal, but the system will switch based on the project sample rate when the FF800 is on Internal clock.

If the ADI-2 Pro is on Autosync clock mode, set the FF800 to clock mode Internal and the ADI-2 Pro should follow the FF800 clock. ADI-2 Pro should be set to AD/DA mode.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Allright big thanks! So no loss in conversion using FF800 as master? I thought the ADI had a better clock and would therefore be preferred.

They both have Steadyclock so it really should be no difference at all.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Thanks, the ADI has steadyclock III which specs -50dB compared to older steady clocks. But my knowledge in digital technology is way too limited to understand whats going on when combining different interfaces digitally. Biggest audible difference between the two is obviously the analog output / headphone amplifier, if i'm hearing the FF800 DAC when its set as master, and the adi2p DAC when ff800 set to slave. Oh my. This is unravelled territory smile

Is it possible to compare the ff800 dac to the adi2p dac only thru the adi2p output stage / headphone amp?

/J

It's actually quite easy. 50 dB jitter suppression are meaningless if the input signal is virtually jitter free (means with jitter that does not degrade audio conversion measurably). That is the case if the FF 800 uses its internal clock and the ADI-2 Pro clocks on the 800's SPDIF signal - and vice versa. So better set the unit to clock master that is connected to the computer and which  might change its rate when the used software demands it.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

jchan wrote:

SPDIF cables between ADI-2 Pro (Int) FF800 (slave) and ADI-2 Pro SPDIF return AD/DA mode / DIG thru?

Hm. Thanks.

This would be my choice! best audio quality from ADi2 cause it is on internal. (not that slaving would degrade it but in theory master is the best). Make sure the ADI is set at internal clock and the fireface at spdif sync.
Clocking is really easy once you get it. Maybe you get confused because it is so simple. 1 master, rest slaves. Clock can travel through Adat Spdif and wordclock from master to slave. WC is only advisable when there is no adat or spdif connection.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
Babyface pro fs, HDSP9652+ADI-8AE, HDSP9632

Great info form both of you! Thanks. Eventually i'm starting to get a hold of this then smile

Combining interfaces in MacOS? useless? Aggregate device and Drift correction etc? Yes? No?

Maybe the ADI2p as master, ff800 slave and combine both as an aggregate device, adi2p as clock source? That way I could use the mic pres of the ff800 and the DIGIchek, i guess? Hm.

Well thanks for now, struggle continues! smile

/J