1 (edited by metalm 2017-03-31 07:17:39)

Topic: Fireface UCX - no signal on Windows 7 at all, can't figure it out

If someone could get me going that'd be great. I'm just about at wit's end. The backstory to this is in quotes, you can skip it if you want.

Had an Echo Audiofire 4 for years, worked perfectly with my firewire 400 cable connecting to my firewire card in my Windows 7 64-bit PC running Cubase, playback on VLC, etc.

Finally decided to make the leap to RME and purchased a Fireface UCX two weeks ago, and it's been nightmare ever since. Uninstalled my Echo's driver, disconnected the old Echo Audiofire, downloaded the latest Fireface firewire .exe driver file from RME's site, tried clicking it....wouldn't open. Nothing. Tried running as an administrator, compatibility mode, restarting the computer....nothing, nothing, nothing. Tried opening the .exe file from the disc....nothing. Took the PC to a good repair place I've been using for years, they reset some registries. Got it back, and indeed opened up the driver file and installed the driver. BUT, when plugging in the UCX via Firewire, my Windows 7 machine wouldn't recognize the device. Even going into Device Manager and pointing it to the driver file didn't work, and gave me an incompatible application yellow sign warning. So I take my PC back to the repair place again, this time with the Fireface as well for them to play with. They're smart guys, but they spent two days trying to get the device to talk to the computer using RME's supplied driver files (they tried a few different driver versions straight off the RME site too) before finally resigning to having to wipe my machine clean, and do a fresh install. I was really bummed out they had to do that, since I just very recently upgraded my Cubase 5 to Cubase 9, and bought a few new EastWest libraries as well, and just got everything configured right. I came in to pick up the PC, and they were able to show me that the RME was recognized by the computer, so I brought it back home.

So now I've got a fresh install of Windows 7 64-bit, all latest updates, RME Fireface firewire driver installed.
RME is on, plugged in w/ power supply, into the firewire port on the back of the RME, and into the back of the computer.
I've confirmed that the device manager sees the RME device and is working correctly. I set the Sound device in the Control panel to the RME Speakers (I saw there was another RME listed btw, Headphones 7/8). Opened up TotalMix and set the Main outs to Analog 1/2, where I go into my Nanopatch, and out to my monitors (Adam A7Xs).

But there's no signal when I open up any file in VLC Media player (only playback program I've tried so far). It's not just that there's no sound I hear - there's no signal being recognized! No green signal bars....nothing. My VLC's device is set to Auto, but I did try explicitly setting it to the RME Speakers device. My VLC volume's up to 100%, the video file I'm playing I know has an audio track on it, the sound in the righthand corner of Windows is up, and no signal.

I made a whole slew of screenshots to help you visualize this, but apparently this forum only allows one link per post, so here's the image I think shows everything the best:
http://marknewcomb1.com/images/rme/sound-not-getting-signal-at-control-panel.jpg

Please help if you can. This has been a nonstop nightmare of troubleshooting. The Echo Audiofire never gave me a single problem in the 10 years I had it, and this is ridiculous.

Re: Fireface UCX - no signal on Windows 7 at all, can't figure it out

Windows includes the Media Player. Load an audio file, MP will play it via Speakers, and right of the symbol the level meter must show something. Then it also should show up in the TM FX window.

Screenshot of UCX Settings dialog?

Did you ever try USB instead?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

3 (edited by metalm 2017-03-31 07:39:30)

MC wrote:

Windows includes the Media Player. Load an audio file, MP will play it via Speakers, and right of the symbol the level meter must show something. Then it also should show up in the TM FX window.

Just tried that....nothing. Played an audio file in Windows Media player, no signal, no level meter. Nothing. Nothing in the TotalMix interface either. Just dead.

http://marknewcomb1.com/images/rme/playing-with-windows-media-player.jpg

MC wrote:

Screenshot of UCX Settings dialog?

Sorry for the double post, I'm only allowed one link per post. Here's the screenshot:

http://marknewcomb1.com/images/rme/rme-settings.jpg

I also have screenshots of the TotalMix settings as well. I did go to Options->Reset Mix->Straight playback, and assigned the Main Out to AN 1/2.

I haven't tried USB yet, but I'd really hate to, given how much I've invested in Firewire already, and I bought this particular unit because of its firewire support, and the same cable and firewire card in my PC were working just fine with my last audio interface.

5 (edited by metalm 2017-03-31 07:56:55)

Channel layout settings on TotalMix, you'll see AN 1/2 are the Main outs. But I'm not even getting a digital signal, it seems. Running the latest driver, 3.1.22.0

http://marknewcomb1.com/images/rme/channel-layout-settings.jpg

Your screenshots are too small to see it - do you get fluctuating level text in the analog inputs of TotalMix FX (the noise floor)? If these channels show UFL then the interface is not working at all. Time to try USB then to find out if at least that works.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

7 (edited by metalm 2017-03-31 08:40:32)

Sorry for the small screenshots, I can upload larger ones. Basically the last one was just showing that I do have AN 1/2 assigned as the Main Out, and the screenshot before that showing the Fireface settings just as they are in default; Buffer 256, Bandwidth all channels, Internal clock, sample rate 44100 Hz....just the normal settings.

There's no fluctuating levels in the faders of TotalMix at all, not even a small amount around the noise floor level. No movement. Whatsoever. Nada. I don't see any activity on the front of the UCX itself either, other than a steady red dot by HOST, and a "PH" in yellow to the left of that above the knob.

I did try another firewire port on the back of my PC; my PCI firewire card has three firewire ports. Haven't swapped out the cable yet. Seems like a good cable, with a good, solid connection.

I'll try USB tomorrow, but even if that works, I would still want to see why the firewire port's not working. After all, I reiterate: I bought a nice firewire card for my PC a few years back, it works fine, the cable for it was also working just fine with the Echo Audio I had plugged in as recently as a week and a half ago, and I specifically bought this model over the UFX because the UCX has a firewire port. The firewire should work. Whatever the outcome of this experiment, I expect the firewire connectivity to be available to me as a working solution, as this was not a cheap interface by any means.

I asked for UFL in the analog inputs - your answer is anything but not that.

With the red LED (Host) on you will not get anything. This LED must go OFF (hence the red warning color), and it will if the unit communicates properly to the driver. So it does not and that explains all you see.

Is this a new unit with a new and original power supply? Is the switch in the back in the correct position to use this external  power supply?

Please try USB to to find out what is working at all.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Does not look like UFL at the inputs to me....

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

MC wrote:

I asked for UFL in the analog inputs - your answer is anything but not that.

Sorry, yeah it shows just UFL.

Here's a larger screenshot:

http://marknewcomb1.com/images/rme/channel-layout-settings-large.jpg

I case you can't read it, UFL levels at the mic channels are either -100 or -101. The rest just say UFL - no levels. No numbers at all to read a level.

Is this a new unit with a new and original power supply? Is the switch in the back in the correct position to use this external  power supply?

Brand new, yes, yes, and yes. Purchased through Amazon

I did just try the USB connection with the supplied USB cable - at first the PC wouldn't recognize it, and I had to point it to the RME driver in Device Manager.

STILL no signal. I just went to the Windows Volume Mixer in the lower right hand corner and clicked through all the devices:

Digital Output (2 - RME Fireface UCX)
Line Out (2 - RME Fireface UCX)
Digital Audio (S/PDIF) (High Definition Audio Device)
Speakers (2 - RME Fireface UCX)
Headphones (2 - RME Fireface UCX)

....and none of them show any signal whatsoever. No green fluctuating activity at all.

I've tried looping a few different audio files in the background using both VLC media player and Windows Media Player (not at the same time), and I know they have audio information in them, so they should definitely send a signal to the interface. But they're not.

Oh, and now that I'm using the USB connection, neither the Fireface settings window nor the TotalMix window will launch when clicking on their respective icons in the taskbar. I can't even get to them now.

The INPUTS do not show UFL but the peak noise level (-100), so that is ok.

What about the red Host LED? If that one is off and record/playback doesn't work then the unit is simply defective (missing serial number or such) and needs to be exchanged, it seems.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Firmware was outdated, after using the Flash Update Tool in USB mode WDM audio works.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

SOLVED! Got on the phone with Synthax and he walked me through it with Team Viewer.

Turns out there was a mismatch between the driver version and the firmware. He had me download the usb flash update tool, power off the unit, plug it in via usb, power the unit back on, run the firmware update tool, he restart the computer remotely through team viewer, power off the unit for a few seconds, re-plug my firewire back in, and it worked!

I would've never figured that out in a million years. The manual doesn't have any sort of troubleshooting section like that where it mentions updating the firmwire with the usb flash update tool. Just to install the driver file.

Thanks for your help though.

14 (edited by ramses 2017-03-31 17:04:30)

The handbook tells in chapter 6.3 (Firmware Update), that it is required
to have an installed driver, to be able to perform an firmware update.

But an information is indeed missing in chapter 6.1, that firmware upgrades
are also required to match with the latest installed driver.

Don't know, maybe RME sees a merit in adding this to their handbooks to
make it clear and also cover / prevent such issues.

BTW .. there are other devices in the market where upgrading firmware is recommended but usually no a real must, so this should better be clarified, as it can lead to confusion whether its required or not.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13