1 (edited by Mobizoid 2017-04-02 02:37:44)

Topic: HDSP 9652 internal SPDIF connectors

Good day, I am waiting the delivery of a 9652 PCI Rev 1.6 that I bought used off of Ebay. I am going to use it in a Win 7 computer rigged up as an external VST  FX  connected to my Soundcraft Signature MTK hybrid  mixer.
Still shopping for an AD/DA with multi channel ADAT, but I do have a Roland  Edirol M16dx that has optical and coaxial SPDIF but no ADAT.
Anyhow... I see in the manual that the 9652 has internal connectors;

SPDIF 
Connection to an internal CD-ROM drive with
digital audio output. Allows for a direct trans-
fer of digital audio data within the computer.

SYNC OUT
This internal SPDIF output carries the same
audio data as the external phono output. It can be
used to synchronize multiple cards, see above.
Please note the label GND for correct polarity.

What I am wondering is if I could use these connections to hook up to a SPDIF bracket something like this:
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/152029581888

And then be able to use the loopback function and record using Total Record?

Any help or comments are greatly appreciated.

Re: HDSP 9652 internal SPDIF connectors

You might have missed that this is not an additional SPDIF input.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

OK MC...I guess so. Now that I look at the user guide page 15 I see that there is an option to set the internal in SPDIF input but not for for the output. So I guess I would have to use external SPDIF or optical output.
But the manual says;
SYNC OUT
This internal SPDIF output carries the same
audio data as the external phono output.
I still cannot find where it says

this is not an additional SPDIF input.

> that there is an option to set the internal in SPDIF input

...which then disables the external SPDIF input...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

OK, So loopback would not be available in the Mixer then. I do not really need the loopback and Total Record function after all.
However....
could I still not use the bracket and internal connectors? This would still leave ADAT 2 and three available for the 8 channel AD/DA I plan on using and give me SPDIF connectivity without having to purchase the RME BO9652 breakout cable. Less dongle mess and half the price. ?

The cable is part of the package, and why should someone sell this card without it? Maybe you just wait what you will get...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

The seller said no cables included.

Then you can indeed try the bracket to save money. Or better solder that cable yourself. Pinout is in the manual.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Ok thanks...its not the money so much as the dongle eye sore... although I paid $160 for the card. Steal of a deal.. I will see if the 9652 works as stable for me as they say. If so I would like to get a RME card buss interface for my mobile rig. We will see

Mobizoid, You will see this is one very stable card system>  Also glad to see MC being understanding of some of us 'misunderstanding' of interal connections.

Semper Fidelity,
Blas

I slapped the new used 9652 into a computer today and used the internal SYNC OUT to an old 2 wire coaxial bracket I had lying around and it works beauty. Need to find another one for the input. Can't wait to get my new AD/DA.