1 (edited by Lidsville 2017-04-04 03:17:23)

Topic: Loopback/TotalMix/DAW Problem. Need Help.

I am currently running a Burl AD converter through an RME Fireface UFX via AES. When I'm in TotalMix the only way I can get my DAW(Ableton) to pick up the signal is if I press "loopback" on my "Main" channel in the Hardware Outputs section. The problem I'm having is that it's not letting me monitor the input through my DAW even though I can see the signal is getting into Ableton. However even though I can see the signal on a channel in Ableton if I raise the level on the channel in Ableton it has no effect on the volume or input level. The only thing that raises the meter on my Ableton input channel is if I raise the Main Volume in TotalMix.

I can only see the input signal in TotalMix on the AES Channel in the Hardware Inputs and Hardware Outputs sections. None in Software Playback.

Any suggestions would be so helpful.

Edit: Even though I can see the signal on my audio channel in Ableton if I try to record it almost nothing gets picked up. It doesn't even show any audio on the clip that's recorded although I can barely hear what I recorded.

Re: Loopback/TotalMix/DAW Problem. Need Help.

You did not select the correct input channels in Ableton. Sounds like you have the track set to record Analog in 1/2 rather than AES input. You may need to visit the Ableton audio device setting to make sure these channels are made visible and available.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

3 (edited by Lidsville 2017-04-04 18:38:46)

Thank you. smile

Ableton doesn't have an AES option. I need to figure out a way to route the AES within TotalMix to a different channel in TotalMix so i can get it into Ableton. I've been trying to figure this out for months. I've emailed RME support but got no response. Ableton is actually the one who sent me an RME video explaining loopback option but that didn't work. I don't think anyone has an answer for this. This seems so basic yet it's not.

They may not call it "AES in", but the channels are there. For the UFX, inputs numbered 13/14 are the AES channels.

Forget loopback, it's 100% unnecessary for your setup.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

5 (edited by Lidsville 2017-04-05 03:09:18)

No Input channels in Ableton show any sign of life. Nothing on 13-14. Out of all the suggestions I've recieved the one and only way I've ever seen Ableton get any signal from TotalMix(via AES) is by pressing Loopback on the Main Channel in the "Control Room" section on TotalMix. But that didn't work as explained in my original message.

I've done absolutely everything. Is there anything else I can try before I abandon Ableton or sell the RME and try to find a solution?

Thanks for the help so far. Much appreciated.

Have you tried recording off AES with other software, e.g. Reaper? You could also try Digicheck to display channels.

If the signal is visible at the inputs in Totalmix, the rest is a matter of the software. In fact, make sure not to have Loopback active anywhere, that's the only thing that might keep software from getting the input signal directly....

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

In fact, make sure not to have Loopback active anywhere, that's the only thing that might keep software from getting the input signal directly....

Aha, yes, check the AES out settings in Totalmix, I bet you have loopback activated on these outputs.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

8 (edited by Lidsville 2017-04-25 09:15:21)

Hey guys. Just wanted to let you know that there was absolutely nothing I could do in TotalMix to get Ableton to pick it up the AES channel. I've asked here, asked Ableton, talked to Vintage King and they've tried... I've tried everything suggested and it's simply not possible.

I will finally buy Logic and hopefully that will work.

Thanks for the help though. Much appreciated.

What version of ableton do you have? Is there a trial version available?

This all sounds so strange that maybe I will give it a try in about 2 weeks when I have more time for this.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

So now even my RME is not getting into Ableton. Every channel is not on loopback. There's absolutely nothing I can see that should be overriding Abelton. Basically I can only adjust volume levels in TotalMix but not in Ableton. And I'm not using the Burl. Just straight RME.

A tiny tiny sognal is getting into Ableton but it's almost nothing. This has turned into a nightmare.

I bought the Fireface UFX immediately after it came out. Were there any bugs in the beginning that could be causing this?

Is this Mac or Win? Did you try Options - Reset Mixer - Total Reset?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Yeah did a reset and seems to have fixed the problem. Thank god. Now I can record this phenomenal idea I have that will surely make me millions. :-)

Still can't figure out how to get AES signal from the TotalMix into Ableton though.