Re: RME RayDAT stability issues

Dammit they dont any suitable gfx cards in stock until tomorrow sad

I hate living in Australia tongue

Tomorrow fingers crossed Ill be back with some good news big_smile

Good luck ! Hey, but you have definitively the better weather besides the south which is slightly under 20° wink

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

ramses wrote:

Good luck ! Hey, but you have definitively the better weather besides the south which is slightly under 20° wink

Haha just my luck, im in the south big_smile

54 (edited by matthewjumpsoffbuildings 2016-10-25 13:10:16)

OK! I installed the gfx card, disabled intel graphics in the motherboard, switched the RayDAT to the first PCIe x1 slot, did the last few tweaks in the pdf ramses sent, and...

40 instances of Guitar Rig 5 running the Billy Dual Grange preset, at 32 samples buffer, before it starts to crackle! That preset actually is a split of 2 amps/cabs blended, so technically thats 80 amp/cab sims.

Thats more like it!

55 (edited by ramses 2016-10-25 13:25:44)

Congrats, but you should have better done one change after the other to see that brings the most benefits.

With a combination of changes you will never know what the root cause was.

Additionally you didn't try different PCIe slots.

What I would do is, to keep the OS tuning but revert to intel graphics.

Do measurement in different PCIe slots. Observe, whether the PCIe slots do any difference.

Then install the PCIe Graphics card in the main slot for this purpose so that it gets the x16 Lanes.

Then you need to be careful when plugging the RayDAT. Don't take any of the x16 slots, it can be,
that your main slot for graphics would automatically change to x8 Lanes for the (all) big PCIe sockets ...

If the RayDAT performned better in a x16 Slot, even if it had only x8 or x4 Lanes (which doesnt matter for the RayDAT, it requires only one slot) then look in the docu, which of these you can take without making the additional Graphic card less performan (x8 Lanes). I think in CPU-Z or GPU-Z you can look / observe how many lanes are active.
Or in the graphics driver, dont remember exactly.

Thats how I would do it to get additionally some knowledge out of this !

And if you say it runs better now .. please present the new LatencyMon numbers (kernel timer values), average, peak ....
Thats of course also interesting for me/us in the forum in what regards this changed.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Yea, thats a good point. I have to upgrade my CPU fan now, due to the tweaks that put the CPU in full performance mode at all times the current fan is too noisy, when I buy the fan tomorrow I will open it up again and try a few alternative configurations.

Im confident the Gfx card taking the load of the CPU for processing the desktop helped a lot to stop redraws from causing clitches.

Im not 100% sure if the switching to a PCIe x1 slot for the RayDAT did much, but I looked at the MOBO schematics and the PCIe x1 slots are on a different bus/path than the x4-x16s, so I think its probably better to keep the Gfx card and the RayDAT on separate busses. I'll probably try different slots tomorrow.

I'll let you know how I go.

Thanks so much for the suggestions and advice so far - its great to see the RayDAT performing as intended smile

57 (edited by ramses 2016-10-25 13:36:17)

On my board most of the Lanes come from CPU, only for ~2 slots they come from chipset.
Of course its better to take Slotes with LANes that come from CPU.

The only thing is really to take care not to take another x16 Graphic card slot, that leads to an automatic re-assignment of lanes, so that your graphic card gets not x16 but only x8 lanes. And yes it dynamically autoconfigures the distribution of lanes.

> Im confident the Gfx card taking the load of the CPU for processing the desktop helped a lot to
> stop redraws from causing clitches.

We are not in church wink Believing is not knowing by proofing.

EDIT: and TBH .. I am very keen to know whether the built-in GPUs in Desktop CPU cause the same shit like on Laptops.
As I do not have such a CPU I can not proof this on my own. But I had already discussions in other boards and well at this state these are only "assumptions" from my side. It would be very helpful for me, if you really could validate this.

58 (edited by vinark 2016-10-25 13:35:37)

Well 40 is a great number! Exactly the improvement I would expect compared to my ancient machine running on the same clock speed.
If when running 40 your cpu is near maxed out, no reason to change slots any more I think. And do keep an eye on the temps! Maybe some of the cpu tweaks are not needed.
What card did you get?

Oh and maybe you can tweak the fan speed in the bios.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632

vinark wrote:

No reason to change slots any more I think.

Would be interesting whether it makes a difference. I had a board, where some slots were not so good and caused side effects for a Firewire card. Based on that experience I would say its a good exercise to really learn your mainboard to know wink

Your mileage may vary ... only my technically oriented $0.02 worth wink

Yes I am interested in the cause too of course, just saying if performance is 100% now there is no gains to be expected and you never know if you will damage something when pulling cards!
My guess is the PCIe slot, cause yes the onboard GFX will rob some memory bandwidth but his performance was really awful about 1/5 what it should have been. But if it is the GFX it would be interesting to see how the m-audio performs now with a GFX card......
So we stay tuned.
Cheers Ramses, you are a great helper!

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632

61 (edited by ramses 2016-10-25 14:10:21)

Thanks very kind from you.

BTW a mainboard block diagram to be found here:

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/10208 … e=8#manual

My observations, see pic ...

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/96192996/RME/forum/Gigabyte%20GA-Z97X-UD5H-BK%20Block%20Diagram.jpg

I will test some alternate card configurations and let you know...

My CPU is at around 20-30% total usage when at 40 instances at 32 samples buffer. However some of the individual cores are hovering quite close to 100%. I am using Reaper, and I think it only addresses up to 4 cores maximum? Perhaps I should turn off hyperthreading and see how that goes? Or is that a bad idea?

If I could get stable performance at 80-90% total CPU god know how many instances I could load.

40 is already well beyond what I would need for both live and tracking purposes. But more is always good, so I will continue to experiement wink

Find the best solution, then you have most reserves ...

Its not possible to predict whether disabling hyperthreading brings something or not.
You need to try it out and observe.

Im still waiting on some more parts to arrive then I will do a whole bunch more testing and get back to you with my results smile

Ok, good luck and thanks for the feedback Matthew.

These parts are taking AAAAGES sad

I was wondering on a side note - would it be worth looking into getting an Xeon Processor, with ECC RAM? Im assuming Id need to upgrade my motherboard too, right? But it seems like from some of the info you shared ramses that for best stability with minimal page faults/DPC spikes an Xeon based system with ECC RAM is the way to go...

67 (edited by ramses 2016-11-16 18:51:59)

page faults happen, when the information is not in RAM and need to be read from disk.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Page_fault
This can happen to Xeon and non-Xeon systems.

Mainboards need to support Xeon and ECC RAM.

The main advantage of getting a Xeon based platform is more the quality of parts.

You may have heard already, that CPU manufacturers take the best CPUs with no no faults from the middle of the wafer. This goes then to the server products, where companies need to give enterprise customers SLAs on parts and the service. The parts that are not great go to consumer area. Shall structures be damaged, so that maybe a certain core does not work they deactivate defective parts and make a different product out of it with less cores etc ....

Also the mainboards in the server board and chipsets will be build with the intention that high workloads can be run 24x7 if needed. ECC RAM is there to early detect and fix DRAM error so that your data doesnt become corrupted.

Also the layout and other components of server or workstation boards are built in a way to achieve best performance. So to say enough PCIe layers for PCIe sockets etc ...

You buy this not for overclocking (which does not work) you buy this for performance and stability.

Also an advantage of Xeons is, that you can choose from a wider range of CPUs. Either more core or higher base frequencies. Some of them offer support for dual or quad processor boards.

I dont want to say that you do not get quality with consumer boards.

Its simply that Xeon based systems are more carefully designed for quality and to deliver performance.

Still its advised, even with a Xeon based system, like I have, that you perform windows tuning, so that the CPU doesnt need to process so many bullshit tasks and make room to be able to process audio data in time even under load.

My system works great, the only thing which I can not go for is tunderbold. But .. with the UFX+ USB3 works great enough, so I won't upgrade my system and stay with this HW for longer time with Win7 as I see no merit and quality degradations and too much potential spyware in Win10.

I just updated my articles in regards to the system which I build.
If you have interest, get prices, calculate and you will have a nice and stable system.
http://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/inde … mponenten/
http://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/inde … -X10SRi-F/

And some details in terms of Blowers ...
http://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/inde … arrow-ILM/
http://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/inde … al-Design/

With the new BIOS v2 you can go for E5-1650v4 now and 2400 ECC RAM (I am limited to 2133 by v3 CPU).
But these few MHz less are IMHO not an issue.

68 (edited by ramses 2017-04-07 13:30:24)

This card is an old card
https://au.pcpartpicker.com/product/mRv … 710d32gl10

Get smth like this which has zero fan feature up to 60°C.
Even my older GTX980 stays absolutely silent and gets only 53°C when gaming.
MSI has on top very silent blower, shall they become activated (but surely not for office / recording).
https://geizhals.de/msi-geforce-gtx-105 … mp;hloc=de

do you think buying another gfx card will really help the issue? if the Nvidia drivers have problems, isnt it possible the new card will still be affected by the same issues?

70 (edited by ramses 2017-04-07 14:09:53)

[deleted]

BTW .. could you please stay in one thread please ?
I wrote this now to the old thread although from the order of actions this is nothing for this thread anymore.
Thanks.

ok no worries i wont post in this thread anymore