Topic: Babyface Recording to Outboard and back

Ok noob with noob question. Sorry guys, should be straightforward but can't get my head around it. Need a little help.

I have some VST instruments in a DAW project (Bitwig) and I want to send the sound of these synths out of my Babyface Pro , into an outboard compressor and then back into the babyface pro for recording. Its not so hard to figure this out if i just wanna record not hear what i record. but i want to hear what is going back in the babyface so i can set the compressor etc.

when I do this of course I get echo upon echo upon echo because i am making a feedback loop, as sound out feeds sound in on top of each other and so on.

so how do i just send sound out of the babyface and just hear what is coming back in, not what is going out etc so i dont get the crazy echo and can set my comp?

Thanks guys

Re: Babyface Recording to Outboard and back

i had exactly the same question in the totalmix sub forum,
got lots of suggestions,
but never any answers.

still does not work for me.

Yeah i don't see why noone can answer this, it should be completely straightforward...can you link to your thread, so i can read it and maybe get some ideas of a direction to go in?

Not familiar with 'Bitwig' but it should work with most DAWs.

In your DAW, assign the VST inst track to another output such as 'Analog 3/4'.  Use a cable from 3/4 output to external comp, output of comp back into line in such as 'Analog 1/2'. Arm 'Rec' on that input and assign its output to yoour Master buss.

You should be able to monitor the comp no problem.