Topic: News RME Fireface UFX user - cant get streaming music to play clearly

I've have this Fireface for 2 weeks now. Seems when it was 1st plugged in , every sound source played well. Slowly all streamed music just crackles, (Spotify, You Tube, even WinAmp). I'm on a PC running Win !0. I want all of music to play through my interface clearly for clients to hear.

I've read through posters here with the same issues but the responses aren't clear to me. Is there a setting I'm missing? Cubase plays back fine but I need the rest to work also. I've tried 2 usb ports on my custom built daw but same results.

Re: News RME Fireface UFX user - cant get streaming music to play clearly

More details pls ... Driver versions, your PC HW ...

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Thanks for the response
17 3930 @ 3.2GHZ 16gb ram , drivers from cd 1.093.

Please try the current driver v1.098.

https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/dr … n_1098.zip

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Sorry, I gave the wrong driver info last night. Looking at the About page ,I see that I have the 1.098 driver from 12/15/16 installed. I thought I'd solved this by raising the buffer size to 512 samples but still, I'm trying to stream my own site and just crackles. Is there any other setting that comes to mind? Thanks for responding

What mainboard do you have ?
Did you try all other USB3 and USB2 ports, some might do better then the others.
What periphery devices are connected via USB ?

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

the motherboard is an ASUS P8H77-V LE ATX Intel Motherboard..I've tried 2 USB ports so far but will try others. As far as peripherals I have a SIIG usb 3 hub which hosta Venom keyboard, printer NI Maschine and a Yamaha QC controller. I'only connected the RME directly to the PC usb's NOT the hub. The PC has a Steinberg dongle .

Let me just add that I"m old and I've come to the RME purchase after years about hearing of its quality and strength of drivers. I 've already returned the first Fireface I've gotten and at this point ,I just want to see if this is even usuable or should I sell and take a loss. This is my 1st USB interface. My last one was an EMU 1820 which had a PCI card. I was leery of USB but convinced by all I've heard of RME. So far ,I like the daw sound quality but cant believe there isnt a simple setting to allow the playing of streamed music or mp3's.

Does anything come to mind that I may have overlooked? Meanwhile I will try all ports

8 (edited by ramses 2017-04-11 06:00:59)

Remove all unnecessary stuff from USB and retry.

> Let me just add that I"m old and I've come to the RME purchase after years about hearing of its
> quality and strength of drivers.

But plugging in a RME interface and installing a RME driver doesn't fix automatically issues
that your PC might have. Thats a completely different story (BIOS, Drivers, Windows, Settings).

If you want a "worry free" turnkey system, then you need to buy such thing from the market.
There are companies that specialize on this, like RME does on the interface side.
For people not having time and/or PC knowledge for optimal audio processing.
http://xi-machines.com/de/systeme-audio.php

Otherwise its also your responsibility to setup a PC in a way that it can handle audio.
In a bad case of luck you have a not running mainboard, then you can do what you want,
but the PC still doesnt react quickly and agile in terms of audio processing like compareable machines.

Look whats going on in this thread to put an example ... and the guy is not through yet.
https://www.forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=25351

And it has nothing to do with RME drivers. I cross tested it and RME RayDAT drivers have no performance issues.

I understand and thanks for your help. My PC IS fully optimized for music production..thats how I've used it for the last 5 years for this purpose. I've been making music on PC's for the last 20 years.  I dont need a "turnkey" system because I'm not really that stupid. I just expected better performance from a $1,800 usb audio interface.

I will look elsewhere for answers or move on to something else

Make sure you use an unused audio out channel for windows audio. So in the rme setup select which outputs will be wdm. I use spdif cause I do not use that anyway and is easy to remember. Just use only 2 channels. Then in totalmix route software spdif to the output you need. Is optimize for multichannel ticked? Try both on and off
Try a different browser?
I think from experience that in the end the solution will be like ok that was simple, it is just I am not behind your computer. Maybe you can ask for support from RME. They can use teamviewer to have a look. You are right to expect this to work, for any price.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632

Your recording interface before was PCI based. USB is a completely different story.
It can be the case that this particular interface doesn't perform with USB.
This needs investigations and testing.

I am using different RME devices (UFX, UFX+, RayDAT, Octamic XTC, ADI-2 Pro).
The drivers are really excellent and give decent performance, USB is very close to PCIe.
This you can read it here in this Blog, see Excel table in the article
http://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/inde … 8-RME-UFX/

I know from own experience that some boards simply do not perform for different reasons.
I had issues in the past with Recording Interfaces using Firewire (Focusrite, RME).
Part of the problems came from bogus TI chipset on the card, but also from the mainboard.
After finally getting a quality FW card, then there were still errors and the errors changed
depending on which PCIe socket I was using.

The best you can do is 1st of all to look, where one of the USB ports solves the issue, otherwise
it requires same level of troubleshooting like with the other guy.

12 (edited by knuckle47 2017-04-12 01:22:03)

Makebeats:  I'd bet I'm older.  My MOTU 896 had the exact problem as Ramses describes with bogus FireWire chipset. Worked great once the incompatibility was addressed and that was 12 yrs ago.

My RME expectations are equally high and in the last 3 months that I've used the UFX+, any issues I've had I'd needed to assume it wasn't my equipment but my settings. This has been true 100% of the time to this point. When I finally get it to do whatever it is I'm trying to do, it's a real thrill. TotalMix is very confusing in my case

It's hard for me understanding so little of this.  Even the manual is difficult for me not having any background in recording.  I am making great progress however and my group of players are having a better time than ever before.  Hell, we still remember how to play "The Ventures" and "Take Five"

If I can pass along a drop of my experience...drop me an email ...of course, you are getting great advice from three forum greats

EDIT: Ramses, your blog post of February 11 on TMFX setup is outstanding !  Thank you

Babyface Pro, UFX+ via Thunderbolt, Win 10, Cubase 9.5 Pro, Asus Z270 i7700k Guitarist-1961

Seems when it was 1st plugged in , every sound source played well. Slowly all streamed music just crackles

Do you mean that slowly after your first plugin this happened, or does it work well every time you restart the PC and then slowly crackles creep in?

knuckle47 wrote:

Makebeats:  I'd bet I'm older.

EDIT: Ramses, your blog post of February 11 on TMFX setup is outstanding !  Thank you

I am also not the youngest anymore wink

Thanks for the flowers, where possible I will try to provide also english versions.

knuckle47 wrote:

Makebeats:  I'd bet I'm older.  My MOTU 896 had the exact problem as Ramses describes with bogus FireWire chipset. Worked great once the incompatibility was addressed and that was 12 yrs ago.

My RME expectations are equally high and in the last 3 months that I've used the UFX+, any issues I've had I'd needed to assume it wasn't my equipment but my settings. This has been true 100% of the time to this point. When I finally get it to do whatever it is I'm trying to do, it's a real thrill. TotalMix is very confusing in my case

It's hard for me understanding so little of this.  Even the manual is difficult for me not having any background in recording.  I am making great progress however and my group of players are having a better time than ever before.  Hell, we still remember how to play "The Ventures" and "Take Five"

If I can pass along a drop of my experience...drop me an email ...of course, you are getting great advice from three forum greats

Thanks for the reply. I hate it when people ask for help in a forum and then dont respond to replies right away, but I was a little discouraged from the replies I initially got. Being old is pretty great, as you know I'm sure: having people assume you're stupid is just tedious. What you're saying is exactly my point. Since I know from hearing about RME for so many years that they make good products and I know my PC is set up and that an ASUS mb is pretty unlikely to be unuable with a RME product, I'm really thinking the issues are a simple setting. Some folks read that and assumed that I'm just looking for a magic bullet. Anyway ,I havent read every page of the manual; I thought I could get some pointers here. I will look at the reccomended settings and will take you up on the offer to email if I'm having no luck. Thanks

Timur Born wrote:

Seems when it was 1st plugged in , every sound source played well. Slowly all streamed music just crackles

Do you mean that slowly after your first plugin this happened, or does it work well every time you restart the PC and then slowly crackles creep in?

Thanks for the reply ; sorry for the slow response. I meant that when I got my 1st Fireface UFX in February, I unboxed and set it up and all music played thru it sounded great. Whether Cubase or even Spotify, I could hear more depth and clarity. As time went on Cubase sessions continued to sound good however streamed music or even mp3's played as files on my computer thru Winamp started to crackle. I really got worried when I heard a slight crackle during playback while in a recording session. I returened that unit for a new one as I dint want to be stuck.

Basically ,I'm having the same issues. I will add that ,during the time I had the first unit I went thru the Groove 3 tutorials for TotalMix and I experimented with some settings. I may have changed something obvious, thats not clear to me.

Any ideas please let me know. Thanks

17 (edited by ramses 2017-04-14 09:50:30)

> having people assume you're stupid is just tedious

I never said that.

What do you want ? Further complain or support troubleshooting in a structured way ?

EDIT:
something like a perfect PC does not exist.
Its required to find out in what area problems exist: BIOS, mainboard, drivers, mix of components and applications.

In a good case of luck problems disappear by finding an USB ports where your device is alone behind an USB controller.

Even with my server mainboard I would have thought that it should support more USB devices, as its a quite powerful Intel C612 chipset. It ended up, that I needed to buy an additional USB 4-port PCIe card to make it possible to drive UFX+, ADI-2 Pro and a couple of addtional peripheral devices (Bluetooth, Keyboard, mouse, USB Hub).
See my own forum threads on this issue which is solved now:
https://www.forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=24757
https://www.forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=24855

Other example for very good expensive hardware (here Laptop), but major fail, if you dont know how to do the setup right, finally solved: https://www.forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=20296

Other example what all can go wrong in the case of Firewire:
https://www.forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=20613

My comment that maybe a turnkey system would have been better for you is simply a comment, because many people do not and CAN NOT have the knowlege that problems can be really everywhere no matter from what brand your system or mainboard is.

Its not meant as an insult, its simply a fact, that you wouldnt have to worry then about things like this and having to do troubleshooting.

I know there was a point a few months back where I had no output from the monitors.  I tried looking for a solution in the manual but that was tough in my case not understanding what I was doing....then I read a post from MC telling someone about the "submix" and "free" buttons.  Well that was it ..but I have no clue why. Since I really AM looking for the magic bullet, I can understand the disappointment.

Here's the thing, I know my limits and work within them until I find out otherwise that I've got a new hint on something. It's a mighty slow process this way and should I have a week that I am needed elsewhere, and that has been the case for 40 years now,  I almost need to start 1/2 way again.  That's not age but unfamiliarity.  It would be great to sit with someone locally who can mentor the initial learning curve but we know that ain't happening.

I really admire the skills and experience of a lot of forum guys here especially how they can help solve many issues I read in posts. Like you I have skills in other areas. After all, RME equipment and the ancillary components aren't free

Heck, took me years between Cubase SL2 and Cubase 4 to get a few things recorded.  I'm pretty good with it now but it took a while to grasp the concepts.  My last recordings from 1968 til about 2004 were made by hitting play and record at the same time smile

Good Luck

Babyface Pro, UFX+ via Thunderbolt, Win 10, Cubase 9.5 Pro, Asus Z270 i7700k Guitarist-1961

How many WDM devices do you have set up in the Fireface settings panel? With all WDM devices active, does it make a difference which output you use for Windows sound?

Does it make a difference what sample-rate you set up in Windows sound output (Control Panel -> Sound -> Playback -> Right-click on output-channel -> Properties -> Advanced)? Does it make a difference what sample-rate you set in the Fireface settings panel?

Is your UFX' Clock Source set to Internal?

Timur Born wrote:

How many WDM devices do you have set up in the Fireface settings panel? With all WDM devices active, does it make a difference which output you use for Windows sound?

Does it make a difference what sample-rate you set up in Windows sound output (Control Panel -> Sound -> Playback -> Right-click on output-channel -> Properties -> Advanced)? Does it make a difference what sample-rate you set in the Fireface settings panel?

Is your UFX' Clock Source set to Internal?

Thanks for the reply, I will check these settings and update.