1 (edited by jip 2017-04-14 19:42:55)

Topic: UFX+ installation without USB (over Thunderbolt 3)

Hello,

I tried to install an UFX+ on a Macbook Pro 2016 (Touchbar) under MacOS 10.12 (Sierra), with an Apple Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter. The UFX+ is not recognized: "host" led is blue, and TotalMix and RME Settings do not launch.

I tried to install the same UFX+ on an older computer over USB 2: the installation and the flashing went without a glitch.

I tried the installation again on the new Macbook Pro 2016, without success. Even after reboot, nothing happened.

At the moment, I haven't got a Thunderbolt 3 to USB 3 adapter to test: does one needs to plug the UFX+ via USB for installation? What about flashing? (I do not need to do it know, but I would like to know for the future.) Then, I would prefer to use the UFX+ over Thunderbolt, as I read that the performances are better: is it right?

But for know, I would appreciate some help.

Best,

Jip

Re: UFX+ installation without USB (over Thunderbolt 3)

Did you set the interface mode in the display menu to Thunderbolt?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I have got no access to the UFX+ until Tuesday, but if I remember correctly, the interface mode was "automatic" on the LCD display. I was unable to change it (it was grey). I unplugged the USB cable, so I expected the Thunderbolt to work with the automatic mode... I will try again and let you know.

You can not change it while any interface cable is connected and working already.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

5 (edited by jip 2017-04-16 14:51:29)

This information would be a nice addition to the manual:

You can not change it while any interface cable is connected and working already.

This would mean that the device would be working... However, no software (TotalMix and RME Settings) launched. Could it be a MacOS 10.12 (Sierra) problem?

Do you thing it is possible to install the UFX+ without USB? I.e. over Thunderbolt only?

Sure. We do that all the time. Which TB driver did you install?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I tried today, and I must confess I totally overlooked that:

Which TB driver did you install?

Indeed, I went to the website, and I taught I installed the driver for the UFX+. Indeed, I installed the USB driver without further noticing. (I also installed the flash update tool, which is for both USB and Thunderbolt.)
I know see in the manual also that there are 2 drivers...
After installing the Thunderbolt driver, everything works perfectly, as it should, as usual with RME products.

Thank you for your help, and sorry for the noise. Really.