Topic: Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 for UFX+

Hi,

My Thunderbolt card on the computer is the Thunderbolt 3 type. Anyone with experience about which adapter will work fine going from Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2?

Looking for adapters, I have found only these two:
https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-Thu … B019FPJDQ2

And the Apple's adapter (sorry, only one link allowed)

Thanks for your help

Re: Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 for UFX+

This forum has a search function.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

myfriendlynoise wrote:

Hi,

My Thunderbolt card on the computer is the Thunderbolt 3 type. Anyone with experience about which adapter will work fine going from Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2?

Looking for adapters, I have found only these two:
https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-Thu … B019FPJDQ2

And the Apple's adapter (sorry, only one link allowed)

Thanks for your help

The Startech adapter will work on a Windows system.  I don't think the Apple adapter will function on a Windows system.

UFX+ x2 ; Babyface Pro x2; UFX Original;  Windows 10 64 bit ; Intel core i9 9900KS CPU; 64 Gig DDR4

4 (edited by knuckle47 2017-03-22 01:50:28)

Not having a background in recording or engineering can be a disadvantage. I'm only a guitar player of 50+ years with ZERO self recording experience.   This particular situation was more confusing than I would've considered when I crossed this path. My Asus Z270 motherboard is a Thunderbolt 3 header and uses their EX 3 i/o card. The Amazon link you provided is exactly what I used as well as a Star Tech cable to link it all together.

This works beautifully.  The sound quality of my tracks are spectacular

Babyface Pro, UFX+ via Thunderbolt, Win 10, Cubase 9.5 Pro, Asus Z270 i7700k Guitarist-1961

knuckle47 wrote:

Not having a background in recording or engineering can be a disadvantage. I'm only a guitar player of 50+ years with ZERO self recording experience.   This particular situation was more confusing than I would've considered when I crossed this path. My Asus Z270 motherboard is a Thunderbolt 3 header and uses their EX 3 i/o card. The Amazon link you provided is exactly what I used as well as a Star Tech cable to link it all together.

Hi, thanks for your answer.

Card already ordered!

:-)

Could you kindly mail me or post the Cubase/DAW round trip times for UFX+ connected to Thunderbolt at these ASIO buffersizes: 32,48,64,96,128,256,512.

I would like to complete the values in my blog article: http://www.tonstudio-forum.de/index.php … -xlsx-jpg/

Many thanks upfront.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

7 (edited by knuckle47 2017-03-30 23:06:40)

I hope this is what you are looking for in Cubase 9.0.10 as reported by Cubase

32    in: 1.297ms         Out: 1.315ms

64    in: 1.973ms         Out:  2.041ms

128  in: 3.924ms         Out:  3.492ms

256  in: 6.327ms         Out:   6.395ms

512  in:12.132ms        Out:  12.200ms

Babyface Pro, UFX+ via Thunderbolt, Win 10, Cubase 9.5 Pro, Asus Z270 i7700k Guitarist-1961

Cool, thanks ! USB3 is very very close.
Input latency is slightly better with USB3, but Total RTT little better with thunderbolt.

CPU wise thunderbolt might be an advantage, and more isolated from USB...

But in total I would says, fair enough for me to stay a little longer while with my current mainboard, which doesnt allow for thunderbolt. And as I have now the Sonnet USB3.1 separate card I think this isolates enough from USB3 on Intel Chipset ..

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

I was reading your blog numbers and realized that.  Aside from the isolation you mentioned.

I can say however, the connectivity is near instantaneous as the  "host" LED is illuminated milliseconds once powered is applied to the UFX+

myfriendlynoise wrote:
knuckle47 wrote:

I can confirm that the combination of  Asus EX 3 i/o card plus Star Tech adapter works fine with the UFX+. Thanks again!

However, there is now a lot of new Thunderbolt-related parameters on the BIOS. Any idea what could be the best settings for audio purposes?

Can you tell which one? Have no board with TB, just curious. BTW did you already google for those ?

ramses wrote:

Can you tell which one? Have no board with TB, just curious. BTW did you already google for those ?

Do you you mean wich parameters? I can take a pic oh the BIOS settings later at home. And, no, I did not Google yet. I was first only concerned about the whole system working. For example: The ASUS Thunderbolt card is 2017 still not plug and play. So, even if everything was "ok", W10 didn't see the thunderbolt card. I had to look for the slot number and add it manually to the BIOS settings, then it worked. That I learnt after some googling. :-)

Interesting, good that you found this information. BTW many thanks for taking the time for a picture of TB related BIOS settings.

I am failing to read which motherboard you are using.  Yes, I needed to configure TB with slot location and a few other parameters and there are quite a few that I just left alone

Did I miss a photo as well?

If you like to do go ahead wink Its simply interesting for me as I have no board with TB support.

If I remember right you (or another kind soul) delivered already latency values for TB. By this I could complete the numbers in my blog article.

Maybe I could make use of such a picture for my article to show what needs to be configured at minimum for TB.

Will do !