1 (edited by ramses 2017-04-09 14:11:18)

Topic: [Solved] TotalMix FX and ARC USB for ADI-2 Pro by adding RayDAT

Hi,

I think yes .. pls look at this drawing. Would be nice if RME could confirm that.

If you put ADI-2 Pro into AD/DA Converter Mode, then it copies all from Digital IN to Digital OUT and vice versa.
Once you have AD/DA Converter Mode set, then its possible to configure the Inputs
for Analog Out 1/2 (i.e. Speaker) and 3/4 (i.e. Phones):
- Analog Out 1/2 (Speaker) shall get Signal from AES
- Analog Out 3/4 (Phones) shall get Signal from SPDIF

The RayDAT card has a breakout cable, and internally (from routing perspective) these are 2 different channels.

As the RayDAT has support for TotalMix FX the ARC USB can be connected to the PC and control the solution via the RayDAT card.

You can assign
- Main Out to AES (Speaker)
- Main Out B to SPDIF (Phones)
and by this use all the nice Functionalities of control room of TotalMix FX or control it via the ARC USB.

OK, this is an integration in the price range of around €585 + €169,
but on the other hand this solution enables you also to expand your system
with 4 ADAT INs (32 channels) and 4 ADAT OUTs (32 channels) = 64 additional channels @44.1/48.

I think this is a very nice way to build your own modular "recording interface" with a merger of
- state of the art D/A and A/D conversion (where the ADI-2 Pro could also be used "solo" or mobile
- extend the capability of ADI-2 Pro with RayDAT / TotalMix FX in Front of it
- pimp all up using additionally ARC USB
- make all nicely expandable by having i.e. 1-4 RME Octamic XTC connected
  to deliver additional 8-32 High Quality Preamps (or Line and Instr inputs on demand)
  as well as using XTCs capabilities to perform format conversion, etc etc

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8griml78k1e2jps/ADI-2%20Pro%20Erweiterung%20mit%20RayDAT%20und%20ARC%20USB.jpg?dl=1

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Re: [Solved] TotalMix FX and ARC USB for ADI-2 Pro by adding RayDAT

I tried it and it works perfectly. The only thing missing is the ARC USB, but this is a minor problem and will work.

One thing that I forgot to mention for the RayDAT setup (added it to the drawing): only ADAT4 OUT is capable of sending optical SPDIF and you need to configure this is the driver settings dialog.

To sum, its possible to start with the ADI-2 Pro for best Reference quality.

If you need more around this solution, be it channels, preamps, TotalMix FX, ARC USB ... Then add this by using the RayDAT.
Perfect combination.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

I described the solution in this blog article in 2 languages, german and english.

http://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/inde … ort-DE-EN/

this is a very well thought out aproach, though having to buy new hardware makes it not very practical,
at least for me, still great work/thoughts from you as usual! smile

5 (edited by ramses 2017-04-11 18:25:40)

You were unsure whether to take UFX+ with TotalMix etc or ADI-2 Pro wink
If you compare:

UFX+                             + ARC USB = 2699 + 169                = 2868
ADI-2 Pro + RayDAT  + ARC USB = 1599 + 585 + 169   = 2353
ADI-2 Pro + UFX II         + ARC USB = 1599 + 1999 + 169    = 3767

Of course the UFX+ has more features, but I think
- the RayDAT is the best way to get TotalMix FX and ARC USB and expandability
- the UFX II   is the best way to get TotalMix FX with FX Effects and DuRec some ports more on top and expandability

haha, yeah that's right but you know from our chats that money is not the actual problem here! big_smile

i am fairly neurotic so i'm always searching for the most simple solution, that's why i did not buy the
UFX+ in the first place, it had way too much stuff i would never use.

stuff like that is disturbing my inner peace, i mean my inner chaos, you know...

i have to admit though that i really miss total mix, well i do not miss total mix as what it is but the
zero latency monitoring

the ADI-2 PRO is absolutely great (with a few issues!) but having to start my DAW and activating
software monitoring every time i want to play guitar is really annoying.

i wish there was a simple solution for this...

ADI-2 have many ajustable parametres. RME please give to us simple tool for PC-Mac for use all power of ADI-2.  Not Totalmix. Tool for activate device mode, filters, PCM-DSD for input, internal frequency, equalizers ets..
Not realtime monitoring only for quick adjustment and sending to ADI-2.

FIXXXER wrote:

haha, yeah that's right but you know from our chats that money is not the actual problem here! big_smile

i am fairly neurotic so i'm always searching for the most simple solution, that's why i did not buy the
UFX+ in the first place, it had way too much stuff i would never use.

stuff like that is disturbing my inner peace, i mean my inner chaos, you know...

i have to admit though that i really miss total mix, well i do not miss total mix as what it is but the
zero latency monitoring

the ADI-2 PRO is absolutely great (with a few issues!) but having to start my DAW and activating
software monitoring every time i want to play guitar is really annoying.

i wish there was a simple solution for this...

Get an UFX II and combine both solutions.

I record currently most of the time with Durec as I want to save the time to start up Cubase which seems to start slower from release to release.

integra wrote:

ADI-2 have many ajustable parametres. RME please give to us simple tool for PC-Mac for use all power of ADI-2.  Not Totalmix. Tool for activate device mode, filters, PCM-DSD for input, internal frequency, equalizers ets..
Not realtime monitoring only for quick adjustment and sending to ADI-2.

MC already told in one of the threads that TM FX  won't come, which was one of the reasons to write a blog article how to workaround this by combining ADI-2 Pro with certain other RME products.

Of course it would be very nice to have a software tool to control ADI-2 Pro parameters  from PC. Lets see.

I know about TM FX. Not have free resources inside ADI-2.

Software tool to set ADI-2 parameters remotely from PC must be very usefull for all.

11 (edited by FIXXXER 2017-04-29 22:58:42)

What about a dedicated "ADI-2 PRO PC/MAC tool" that gives some core features of TotalMix?

Mainly thinking of zero latency monitoring for the analog inputs and some very basic settings
like solo, mute and mono, would this be possible?

When i did my pre buy research i knew that the ADI-2 PRO does not support zero latency monitoring,
i thought i could live without it but in a practical way it's really a big downside when you are using the
ADI-2 PRO as a hi-end audio interface.

Even though the ADI-2 PRO is absolutely fantastic in every aspect i am thinking to switch so
another RME product, UFX II or UFX+

I'd even buy a dedicated PCIe card that's specifically made to work with the ADI-2 PRO exclusively

The ADI-2 Pro could be combined with UFX II and you would i.e. get also Durec by this and 2 additional headphone outputs which could be interesting if you get guest player ...

I am using Durec often for recordings last recently as it works quickly like a tape deck ..

13 (edited by cameron.k.hensley 2018-04-09 18:14:23)

I'm considering this very setup mentioned here, but I have a couple of questions. Basically, I live in a small apartment. Two inputs is all I would likely use. Also, I like the DA side of the Pro for headphone mixing (I know, small apartment...). However, I do reamp a lot, so 4 out is very appealing. Furthermore, I would really like the advantages of TotalMix FX. Oh, and 192kHz...

1) Am I understanding - based on this thread - that the RayDAT actually supports TM FX? All I've seen is that it supports TotalMix. Can I assume this is just latency-free routing (but no DSP effects)? I would really like some time based processing post MTR. Is the TM FX now supported with the RayDAT? How does that work if the card itself doesn't have the DSP engine?

2) If I connect the ADI-2 Pro to the RayDAT via AES, I will only get 2 channels of 192kHz playback. How should I connect it for 4 outputs at 192kHz? Can I use the AES outs for 1/2 and the S/PDIF connections (technically 7/8) for Outputs 3/4 and simply route the reamp track outputs via TotalMix?

Thanks, just want to be sure before I purchase and piddle :-)

1. No FX there, just mixing and routing.

2. Yes, that is possible.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME