Topic: HDSPe MADI and MacPro

Hello, I'm starting to spec out a new recording system and I'm wondering what people are using on the Mac side for recording software.  I would be using a new HDSPe MADI card on a MacPro - running 10.5.2

What software seems stable?  Logic?  Performer?  Garage Band :-)

I've been a ProTools guy for years, but as our snake systems evolved into MADI it seems crazy not to give this card a try. 

Are they're any issues with high track counts, say 48, 56 or 64 channels at one time.

thanks in advance,
-Michael

Re: HDSPe MADI and MacPro

I don't use Logic and Mac, but I happen to have a nice Mac (10.5.2) with Logic and HDSPe MADI right beside me ;-). Tell me what you want me to test, so far all I did was listening to Logics Demo Projects via MADI to ADI-8QS and it worked perfectly.

Best regards,
Max

thanks Max,
I'm most curious in how the computer behaves recording 56 ( or even 64 ) tracks at once?

I can at least say that recording 64 channels from HDSPe MADI in Nuendo 4 under OSX 10.5.2 is a bliss.
No problems.
I have however heard of problems with more than one card. I have not been able to test this myself yet.

P

I uploaded a video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeYmW0XxuBQ
Forgive the quality, the green demo writing, the lack of sound - was my first try.

Recording a sine tone (Alva Mic Calibrator) AD converted by RME Micstasy-M, then distributed by RME ADI-642 to all 64 channels, then recorded to 64 channels in Logic 8.0.1

After all, all I have to say: it works without problems // even the screen capture program works simultaneously, and HD/CPU load was still very low.

Hi Max,

Thanks so much, it's great to see the system in action!  Looks like it's running with ease, even recording to your system drive.  I'm curious, is the mixer program you have running (MADI AES 32 Mixer) linked to the ADI-642 or does it function with the HDSPe card?

-Michael

Hi Michael,
The connection was:

1) HDSPe MADI Out to Micstasy MADI In
2) Micstasy MADI Out to ADI-642 MADI In
3) ADI-642 MADI Out to HDSPe MADI In

1) is not necessary, but I wanted Logic to be clock master and send remote control commands to the Micstasy. This can easily done with a MADI cable since RME embeds the remote control signals (MIDI commands) into the MADI stream - and extract clock information from the incoming signal. Instead, I could have connected a wordclock cable for the clock and a MIDI cable for the remote control, but my Micstasy is in another room, and of course, one optical line is much simpler ;-)

2) the ADI-642 is a 72*74 Matrix. Input: 64 Ch. MADI, 8 Ch. AES-3 (AES/EBU). Output: 64 Ch. MADI, 8 Ch. AES-3, 2 Ch. Headphone. In this set-up it received a boring MADI signal: Ch. 1 my signal generator plugged into the micstasy microphone input 1, then channel 2-8 some very low noise (from the other 7 AD converters), and no signal on channel 9-64. You wanted me to record 64 channels of audio, so I opened a tool called "RME Midi Remote" (you can download it from the website to test it even if you don't have the devices), selected "ADI-642 Matrix", and with one click I distributed the incoming MADI Channel 1 to all 64 MADI channels on the output. This is why you see 64 same signals recorded in Logic.

3) The Mixer you talk about ("MADI AES-32 Mixer") is in fact the famous Totalmix, a tool that comes with any RME computer interface. This version works for both the MADI cards and the AES-32 cards, that's why it has this long name. Totalmix shows my incoming MADI signal on the first row, then software playback in the middle row (in this case, a 5 channel surround mix that Logic creates) and in the bottom row, it shows the signal that will be on the MADI output of the soundcard. The real power of Totalmix is its ability to mix - independently from Logic, in hardware, with almost no latency - any incoming MADI channel and any Software Playback to any output channel. Take a weekend off and read the Totalmix Manual in combination with the Demo Version from the RME Website. You'll realize that this is a tool you don't want to live without.

Below the mixer you see the remote control of the Micstasy (same RME Midi Remote). This tool gives me access to all functions of the Micstasy, so I don't have to run to the other room to adjust the gain of the Mic preamp... because that is what I do (you see the loudness in- and decreases in the Logic waveform: in fact, these were created by adjusting the gain of the Micstasy). Of course, I also see the state of the Micstasy (SyncCheck, Level Meters and so on - as if the Micstasy was in front of me).

I'm sure it would be easy to write a plugin for Logic to control the gain of the Micstasy within the Logic Mixer, which would be very convenient. But I'm not a programmer, fortunately ;-) Anyway, this doesn't really belong here :-)

Hope this helps,
Best regards,
Max

Thanks for all of the great information!  My HDSPe card arrived yesterday, and I will be building up my system this weekend.  I operate a remote recording truck here in the States, and have been a big fan of RME since we built a fiber optic snake with two of the ADI-648 pieces.  MADI, hands down seems like the most efficient way to move these big blocks of channels.  This new system (RME & Logic) will run as a backup to our ProTools rig, but who knows, maybe it is destined to take it's place. 

You can see a bit of what we do at: indremobile.com

No problem :-). I'm sure you'll enjoy the new equipment.

Keep it up!

Hi,

Same general subject.

I want to use an HDSPe MADI on a Mac Pro with Logic. I want to use it soley to have multiple audio tracks to come back from standalone virtual instruments (those virtual instruments that don't reside within the memory space of Logic as an instantiated plugin - but are opened outside of Logic).

For example, I would have an open Kontakt2 program with 16 stereo instruments in it and that audio would have to get back to 16 stereo tracks within Logic.

I understand that RME's software could allow this to occur without the use of any hardware cabling.

Would this work or am I off base with this.

Thanks,
Jack

What you want to do should be possible for free with a software called Jack. If not, yes the new HDSPe MADI would allow that.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I have heard some pretty bad reports about the Jack software for this application.

How about the new RayDAT? Do you think there would be any issues using it for this purpose. I realize it would have about half the i/o?

Thanks
Jack

That's the only issue.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

14 (edited by Warrick 2008-04-22 12:13:51)

If your playing the stuff out of pre performed midi tracks in kontact, then use use global record in digicheck........when it's available:-) dump it in to logic and mix it. Saves time setting up record tracks in logic and saves system resources while recording.

Edit-
OK, I won't post when drunk anymore.....