1 (edited by dr.larkos 2017-05-04 16:57:25)

Topic: Bass & Treble function

Sorry, very basic question: Are Bass & Treble function settings added to EQ settings, so frequency response reading screen should show both settings added up? Also i have not been able to find in manual or otherwise anything about setting bit depth in SRC or recording functions, is it preset (automatically set) to, say, 24?

Thanks.

Re: Bass & Treble function

Bass&Treble is independent from the EQ.

There is no setting for bit depth in the hardware. When recording you set the desired bit depth in your recording software, not the audio interface.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thank you MC.

So, if I boost bass by 3dBs using EQ and I already had a 6dB boost using Bass function,then, I will have a total bass boost of 9 dBs, correct?

Now , on the bit depth matter, I clearly understand your point than when recording, bit depth is set using the recording software. But I guess my question still applies when using SRC and internal clock for basic listening using the RME as a DAC...in such case, the RME should be setting bit depth to a preset value or values depending on the sample rate selected for the SRC process, right?

Thanks in advance,

dr.larkos

9 dB, correct.

I don't see what sample rate conversion has to do with bit depth. The unit always works at full bit resolution, which with digital I/Os and SRC is 24.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

I don't see what sample rate conversion has to do with bit depth. The unit always works at full bit resolution, which with digital I/Os and SRC is 24.

I found this note now in the manual p88 chapter 34.21 Bit tests:

Mac OS X, IOS, SPDIF and AES are limited to 24 bit.

In what operation mode or from which source to which destination happens processing in 32bit?
USB to Analog Out?

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

That is not processing but data transfer. And works in 32 bit only with Windows ASIO. The internal processing bit depths of the unit differ and go up to 42 bit.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks for additional information on this topic :-)

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

8 (edited by dr.larkos 2017-05-05 17:36:52)

MC wrote:

9 dB, correct.

Thanks MC. Got my answer: SRC is always at 24 bit. Reason why I was asking is that I have two outboard SRCs (with different maximum sample rates) that both give the option (hardware-based, so to speak) to select 16, 20, or 24 bit depth when upsampling.