Topic: Need help troubleshooting RME + TotalMix

Hello,

I have an RME Babyface with a Cloudlifter CL-2 and SM7B mic. The mic goes into the Cloudlifter and the Cloudlifter goes into the RME, which is connected to my iMac. This setup has worked well for two years.

Today I unplugged the mic from the Cloudlifter to play around with an iRig Pre device that allows me to connect my mic directly to my iPhone. When I plugged the mic back into the Cloudlifter and went back to my iMac to record, it wasn't working.

In troubleshooting the problem, I found that if I plug the mic directly into the RME, I can see a level on TotalMix. It seems to work that way, although the level is low (which is why I got the Cloudlifter in the first place).

Then I thought it might be a bad XLR cable going from the Cloudlifter to the RME. I happened to have two spare XLR cables around, so I tried them both and the problem still remains: no level at all in TotalMix. (I also tried plugging the XLR into both channels of the Cloudlifter, and neither worked.)

At this point it seems like the issue may be with the Cloudlifter? Seems weird because it was working just fine about two hours ago, up until I unplugged the mic to experiment with the iRig iPhone device. Also, it seems like a relatively uncomplicated device, and one that would be unlikely to break. No driver, no battery, etc.

Is it possible that I have a setting wrong somewhere? I'm a newbie with this stuff, so not sure what I'm missing. Thanks.

Re: Need help troubleshooting RME + TotalMix

If the Cloudlifter requires phantom power make sure this one is activated on the Babyface. Also remove and replug the D-Sub breakout cable from the BF.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

If the Cloudlifter requires phantom power make sure this one is activated on the Babyface. Also remove and replug the D-Sub breakout cable from the BF.

Thanks for your reply. The Cloudlifter does require phantom power, and the 48v button is activated in TotalMix. Is there something I need to do on the Babyface itself? Prior to unplugging the mic and plugging it back in, this setup had been working for about two years with no problem, and I haven't touched the Babyface itself.

I did try removing and re-plugging the D-Sub breakout cable during the troubleshooting process, but that didn't help.

I'm thinking it must be the Cloudilfter itself; maybe I can get a replacement and see if that makes a difference.

I ordered another Cloudlifter and plugged it in. I'm still having the same problem described earlier in the thread. To recap:
- Works fine when SM7B is plugged directly into RME (though level is a bit too low)
- I have enabled the 48v button in Total Mix (I think this is how to turn on phantom power?)
- I have unplugged and replugged the D-sub breakout cable

Not sure if this means anything, but when I select the "left" channel that the SM7B is plugged into, I see orange lights at the bottom and flashing red lights at the top.

Any ideas?

Next step would be to grab a multimeter and check the presence of the 48V at the XLR connectors of the BF breakout cable. Then loop back the XLR output to the XLR input, play something and check the levels in TM FX.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks Matthias. I think I understand the first part: get a multimeter, insert into XLR connectors on the breakout cable, and see if there is 48v output on the multimeter?

I don’t understand the second part though. I'm supposed to plug an XLR output cable from the breakout connector back into an XLR input cable in the breakout connector? When you say "play something", what does that mean? Play some audio on my computer?

Yes play back some audio through the XLR's and see if they register at the input (without phantom power obviously)

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632

vinark wrote:

Yes play back some audio through the XLR's and see if they register at the input (without phantom power obviously)

I tested the XLRs by connecting the Shure SM7B microphone directly to the RME. It registers the input and I see a level in Total Mix, and can record this way.

Isn't this accomplishing the same thing as you suggested above? Or is it something different?

You mentioned the level being much too low. The loopback test would show if levels are basically correct and if audio sounds correct as well.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

You mentioned the level being much too low. The loopback test would show if levels are basically correct and if audio sounds correct as well.

I just did the loopback test and I'm seeing a level up in the red, so seems to be working fine.

When I said the level was too low, I probably overstated it. If I turn the gain up to 60 I can definitely record with the SM7B, but I bought the Cloudlifter to get a little extra which helps for some applications.

I am going to pick up a multimeter today and test for phantom power. I think it has to be that; at this point we've ruled out everything else, other than the (extremely remote) possibility that both my original Cloudlifter and the replacement I picked up are faulty.

If the multimeter shows that phantom power isn't being delivered, what do I do next?

Hi everyone,

A friend of mine brought over an Audient iD4. I hooked it up to the Cloudlifter, and then the Cloudlifter to my SM7B. I turned on phantom power on the back of the Audient, and I was able to get a level and record in GarageBand and a few other applications.

I'm still waiting on the multimeter, but I think this last troubleshooting step pretty well isolates the problem even without the multimeter. It shows that the Cloudlifter, my mic, and my XLR cables are all functioning properly. That leaves only the RME as the issue.

Since it seems there may be a problem with my unit, what should I do now? Is there a service center in the U.S.?

To troubleshoot phantom power missing:

- make sure to at least one time toggle the phantom power switch in TotalMix FX

- check the breakout cable. You said you did, but also check the screws of the D-sub connector at the BF itself. When they are loose they loose contact with ground which could prevent PP to work correctly

If all that doesn't help send in the unit to Synthax US, including the breakout cable. Sometimes only these are defective.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

To troubleshoot phantom power missing:

- make sure to at least one time toggle the phantom power switch in TotalMix FX

- check the breakout cable. You said you did, but also check the screws of the D-sub connector at the BF itself. When they are loose they loose contact with ground which could prevent PP to work correctly

If all that doesn't help send in the unit to Synthax US, including the breakout cable. Sometimes only these are defective.

Thank you. I did all of these steps and am still having problems.

I will send to Syntax. Thanks.