Topic: FF400 - problems with Macbook Pro late 2008

I've recently replaced my RME400 with the (brilliant!) Fireface 802 for studio use, freeing up said FF400 for live work - or so I thought!

When I connected the RME to my Macbook Pro (late 2008) running OSX10.11.6 there is no sound output. The drivers and firmware are up to date, the drivers are recognised by the macbook and by Logic Pro10.3 and I can see the audio in the RME desk outputs but no sound is being output. Macbook works fine with other audio interfaces and FF400 works fine with studio computer (G5 tower 2008).

After investigation I see that there was a known issue with the chipset in the late 2008 macbook (just my luck!) that meant the RME400 wouldn't work properly and that some kind of extension cable would solve the issue. But beyond that I cant find any more information.

Anyone have any insight or advise on this problem?
Thanks,
David

Mac Pro 2 x 2.8 Quad 32GB Ram

All that we see or seem, is but a dream within a dream.

Re: FF400 - problems with Macbook Pro late 2008

The information is still correct. Special cable, or insert a hard-drive into the chain.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks, can you give me more information on the cable please? I read about the hard drive but the threads I found with links to the cable appeared defunct and I'd like to try that option first.

The link in those uber-old threads still work:

http://www.lindy.de/?websale8=ld0101.ld … mp;ci=8003

It's about getting an active hub in-between, so this cable in 4.5 meter, a repeater, a harddrive with two FW ports...all this will most probably help.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Many thanks MC. I found the old thread (didn't look hard enough first time haha). Lindy hub arrived this morning and it now all works fine.