1 (edited by Erich Klagton 2017-05-15 13:09:22)

Topic: Fireface UC and no SPDIF in Ableton

Hi Everybody,

I want to record my Kemper SPDIF signal via Fireface UC in Ableton, but I can't find any SPDIF i/o's in the Ableton preferences. All other mono and stereo channels 1 - 18 are recognized automatically, but no SPDIF one. All sources from the analogue inputs of the Fireface work pretty well in Ableton, but obviously not the digital ones.

I assigned the SPDIF input signal in the TotalMix view to output 3/4 (stereo) and to SPDIF out. The level meters show me immediately proper signal at these outputs and when I assign additionally this signal  to the master, I even can hear it perfectly over the headphones (at 7/8). That's within TotalMix, but not in Ableton...

Is there a special way to route SPDIF signals to Ableton or other DAW's? In the graphics of the Fireface manual it indicates that the SPDIF signal in the factory settings is assigned to the channels 9/10, but these are not available in TotalMix...??

Well, I don't know how to do this...

FF-UC/ADI96Pro,VT737,U87,OSX,Live9,LogX
KempAmp,XGuitars,Cello,NordStage2,RhodesMKII
PA:m20d,l3t,l3s

Re: Fireface UC and no SPDIF in Ableton

> All other mono and stereo channels 1 - 18 are recognized automatically, but no SPDIF one

The UC has 18 channels in total, yso you have them all. SPDIF is channel 9/10, no matter what name it has in Ableton.

> SPDIF signal in the factory settings is assigned to the channels 9/10, but these are not available in TotalMix...??

You just stated the opposite. Maybe you meant 'in Ableton'? What's coming in there on input channels 9/10?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

3 (edited by Erich Klagton 2017-05-15 14:20:51)

Hi MC,

Thanks for the answer. I made a misleading formulation. I MEANT IN ABLETON there are 18 channels enableable and at least that means that all these channels are recognized in there. 

Do I have to do something in TotalMix? As I said right here there are no 9/10 channels displayed. But probably identical there is a channel visible called SPDIF and consequently the signal arrives here. I can even assign the signal to the outputs 3/4, 5/6 and 7/8. But nothing appears in Ableton.

Because 9/10 and all further channels are not displayed in TotalMix I couldn't manually assign the SPDIF channel to 9/10.

In hope of the factory settings I made a total reset in TM because now the SPDIF channel should be assigned automatically to 9/10. Still arrives the signal at the SPDIF channel in TM, but no signal arrives on 9/10 in Ableton.

What do I do wrong?

4 (edited by ramses 2017-05-14 09:49:50)

You do not have to assign anything.

The hardware inputs of an RME interface are always passed to the DAW as inputs.

Make an experiment, enter the new DAW mode, then TotalMix is deactivated.

All inputs go in to DAW and there you need to perform the routing.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

ramses, thank you, thank you, thank you!

The DAW Mode that's it ! I get the signal now on 9/10 in Ableton. It's working !!! It took me a whole day, then you passed by...

Thanks again!

6 (edited by ramses 2017-05-14 09:57:50)

Strange is, why DAW mode lets the signal pass through to the application, but not in the usual TotalMix mode.

What
- firmware
- driver
- TotalMix version
do you have in use ?

If you have the nerve I would further check on this topic. Because I see no merit to surrender TM.
Maybe you should
- ensure to have latest firmware and driver installed (TM is being installed by the driver and should be 1.42)
- reset the TM mixer completely
and setup TotalMix from ground up with a 1st focus on the topic, whether the input signal is passed to the application.
The driver settings, cabling, etc seem to be fine, as in DAW mode everythnig works.

My TotalMix primer could be of good help for you: http://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/inde … rnal-equi/

Also the official RME tutorial videos:
http://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/inde … al-Videos/

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

7 (edited by Erich Klagton 2017-05-15 04:53:59)

Thanks ramses again!

The driver and TM is the latest version. But actually as far as I can see now I won't need TM at all. I just use 5 analogue mono inputs and one SPDIF stereo. I can do the output routing and assignments in Ableton.

And in the case of TM and Ableton I guess again virtual reality is analogue to analogue life: Too many cooks spoil the food.

TM FX is used by many people without any issues.
I am runing two UFX+ with far more channels on one PC and all the channels are available in Cubase.
I would check by installing a demo of other DAW software, like i.e. reaper and then look whether you can nail it down.

TotalMix FX can become handy in terms of headphone mixes and other non-DAW work.

9 (edited by Erich Klagton 2017-05-15 13:13:22)

@ramses,

it convinced me what you said, why half the matter if the whole thing is possible. I have reinstalled Ableton, FF driver and TM and now everything is working together. Don't know why.

That proves again: Just the Pope and RME are infallible.

10 (edited by ramses 2017-05-15 14:51:20)

I am very glad that it works for you now, enjoy!

BTW .. good to know that the DAW mode can be used to crosscheck things and come to further conclusions.