1 (edited by JediJoker 2017-05-09 08:28:12)

Topic: UFX Screen Malfunction

NB: I searched and couldn't find a comprehensive answer/solution in any thread.

I have been dealing with built-in screen reliability issues with my Fireface UFX (serial 23429444, latest firmware v357 and latest USB driver v3.01) since purchase in late August 2012. At first, it would randomly flash to blank white at startup and thereafter until rebooting the unit, which would generally fix the problem until shutting down the unit. Later, this fix became temporary such that after rebooting the unit, the screen would stay error free for a while (anywhere from ~10 minutes to several hours) but would eventually start flashing to blank white. This was its behavior until just recently when I replaced my late 2011 MacBook Pro running Mac OS 10.10.5 with a late 2015 iMac running 10.12.4. Now, it starts flashing to white almost immediately upon startup and a reboot does not fix the problem.

The unit is plugged directly into one of the USB 3.0 ports on the back of the iMac, not through a hub or to a port on a Thunderbolt expansion chassis. I have updated to the latest USB driver for macOS Sierra. I have reflashed the latest firmware. None of this has done anything to fix or improve the issues with the screen. All other functions seem to work just fine, whether accessed through the hardware or through TotalMix, though admittedly I have not tested absolutely everything.

What should I do?

- JediJoker

2 (edited by JediJoker 2017-05-11 12:04:20)

Re: UFX Screen Malfunction

Bump. Coming up on the end of my five-year warranty period, so I'm hoping to get this sorted soon.

EDIT: Well, the screen seems to be working properly for now. Wish I knew what causes the intermittent issues. I fully expect this reprieve to be temporary, so my inquiry still stands.

- JediJoker

Hello,

Seems like an intermittent hardware problem from your description. If you got an extended warranty from the retailer, you should contact them to arrange service.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Jeff wrote:

Hello,

Seems like an intermittent hardware problem from your description. If you got an extended warranty from the retailer, you should contact them to arrange service.

I did not. I bought it through Guitar Center when I was an employee and did not buy Pro Coverage, which would have ended by now, anyway, I think. But the factory RME 5-year warranty (administered by Synthax?) should still be in place.

- JediJoker

Only from the UK, 2 year warranty in the US and elsewhere.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Jeff wrote:

Only from the UK, 2 year warranty in the US and elsewhere.

Ah, OK. I'm hosed, then. No point in spending money on an obsolescent interface.

- JediJoker