Topic: RME FIREFACE 800 Maximum buffer size?

On my Fireface 800 settings I can find only 1024 as largest buffer size.
On other hand, this is copy/paste from Sound on sound Fireface 800 review:

"Unlike most of RME's PCI-based audio hardware, which offers a minimum buffer size of 64 samples (1ms latency at 44.1kHz), the Fireface offers values as low as 48 samples, alongside larger buffer sizes of 64, 128, 1024, 2048, 4096 and 8192 samples.

Is it possible to achieve buffer sizes larger than 1024, and how?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Re: RME FIREFACE 800 Maximum buffer size?

It depends on the sample rate, dial in 96 and 192 kHz and then take a look ..
More data -> higher buffers required.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Thanks, I am aware of that....But working with 44.1 or 48 kHz means that maximum buffer size is 1024?
There is no workaround that?  I have latest firmware and driver, is there any driver version that possibly affects that?

On my other interface I have project mixed with CPU reaching 80% using buffer size of 4096. When I switch to Fireface 800, CPU goes over 100% making mixing impossible.

So basically, this limited buffer options makes my computer "working more with less effect".

This is first time I am confronted with some sort of limitation with this otherwise great device.

If you know how to get larger buffer size (4096 or more) using sample rate of 44.1 or 48 kHz, I would greatly appreciate your advice!

This is by design and has always been that way with the FF800. Plenty of posts about it in this forum.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I've never experience a need for buffers larger than 256 with my UFX, but I can't comment on other RME units/

I would suggest increasing the DAW software buffers, that's typically the problem with glitching during playback.

What are your DAW buffers set at?