Topic: word clock: OctaMic II and UFX

I have an OctaMic II connected to a UFX (old one, not “+”) via ADAT1 Lightpipe and via word clock, with the UFX as master and the OcatMic as slave; the OctaMic is terminated via the termination switch on the rear of the unit.

On the “STATE” leds on the UFX, the ADAT1 light is on continuously, indicating (I think) that the OctaMic is clocked via the ADAT lightpipe. This seems to work fine, but I have a couple of questions.

Why isn’t the UFX STATE led for WC on instead?
Is clocking via WC better, worse, or the same as clocking via ADAT?

Thanks.

Re: word clock: OctaMic II and UFX

1. It has no reason to show any Word signal, because none is attached or received. You did not connect anything to the UFX word input, so why should it show a signal there?

2. Clocking via WC in your case is the only way to do it, as the OctaMic II does only have Word or AES (via D-sub) as snyc inputs. The alternative would be to set the OctaMic to be master, but that is les useful.

> indicating (I think) that the OctaMic is clocked via the ADAT lightpipe.

Not at all. The OctaMic is correctly clocked via word, so the returning ADAT signal is in sync to the UFX internal one.

Note: this post has been edited and Ramses' post has been removed for the same reason - the OctaMic II can not be synced via ADAT.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Re: word clock: OctaMic II and UFX

Thanks MC, you cleared up my misunderstanding perfectly. At least now I understand why it worked so well just the way I had it set up.