Topic: Fireface 802 troubleshooting and repair

Please help if you have knowledge of the Fireface 802.  My Fireface 802 is no longer fully recognized by my computer after an object fell on my Mac power cord and (zap) severed it.  The USB was connected from my Mac to the 802 Fireface at the time, and so I am worried it may have damaged something in the interface itself through that USB connection.  I have a new Mac power cord and everything seems to be working ok with the Mac and USB cord and my DAW still works with other cheaper interfaces.
What is no longer working is the "Fireface USB Settings" and "TotalMix" apps - they no longer open for me.  I even re-installed them and did the updates.  Also, my DAW (Reaper) no longer recognizes Fireface as an audio option, and only allows me to choose input 9 (brings it up in a new project as its default).  I can plug an instrument into input 1, 2, and 9 and hear myself through my monitors.  I can plug into 10, 11, & 12 and hear myself with a lot of hiss if I turn the gains all the way up.  I cannot record at all as it doesn't recognize fireface in preferences.  I cannot play anything I've done in Reaper unless I go through a different interface.  My Mac also does not recognize Fireface as an audio preference.
I haven't even had the 802 all that long, so I can't recall which lights on the front were usually on - but I feel like at least one of the lights in the far right section labeled "state" were on - and now none are lit up.  Both lights for channel 9 are lit dark green, and both lights for channel 10 are lit up light green.  I'm not sure if that means anything but I thought I would share the info in case anyone knows what this may mean.  If I had to guess - I would imagine that zap could have blown a fuse in the Fireface 802.  I am not sure what they look like in an interface and I am not prepared to tackle opening it up to look at it until I get some feedback from others who know more about this than I do.  My other idea is to purchase a firewire and try it out with that in case it was just the USB port that was damaged.  If you have any advice on what direction to go (what to try, or people in my area who could look at it or make repairs) I would greatly appreciate it.  I live on the border of central Wisconsin and Minnesota (Stillwater MN area).

Re: Fireface 802 troubleshooting and repair

If you connect the FF 802 to your Mac and the USB LED does not come on, then there is zero communication between the FF802 and the Mac. You need to try the FF802 with a different computer.  Checking it via FW is no bad idea either.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

3 (edited by buffaloplaid1 2017-05-26 01:34:43)

I just tried out the Firewire that came in the mail and I have a connection now (and the blue FW light comes on in the "state" area).  TotalMix now opens as well but not "Fireface USB Settings".  That must be because I am using a FW now and need to download that off of the disk.  I did that a bit ago and "Fireface Settings" opened for me, and everything seems to be working. Whew!
Do you happen to know where I could go for repairs for the USB port if I decide to go that route?  I live about 30 minutes from Minneapolis and St. Paul Minnesota.

Please contact Syntrhax US.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME