1 (edited by pabaker85 2017-05-29 23:25:57)

Topic: DAW transport stops responding

Wondering if any other RME users experience an intermittent issue with PreSonus Studio One 3 (or Reaper or any other DAW) where the transport (and possibly the whole audio engine) stops responding after leaving the computer idle for several hours.  The symptom is that you can press the play button, it highlights, but no audio plays back.

I thought it was PC related, but I've migrated to a 2015 MacBook Pro and still getting the issue with my Babyface Pro.  I wouldn't have thought to relate it to the RME driver, but I noticed another S1 user reporting the same issue with a Fireface. 

The issue is more of a minor inconvenience since changing the buffer size in S1 seems to remedy it.

MacBook Pro 2015 | 2.8 Ghz i7 | 16 GB RAM | OS X Sierra | RME Babyface Pro | Presonus Studio One 3

Re: DAW transport stops responding

In the Windows advanced energy settings you could look for USB and try whether deactivating USB energy saving help.
Eventually prevent smth like hibernation.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

3 (edited by pabaker85 2017-05-29 23:23:12)

So still having this issue, but I noticed it's not just Studio One.  Same issue happens with Reaper.  If I leave my MacBook Pro idle for awhile and come back, the transport in the DAW won't respond until I either a) change audio devices or b) change buffer sizes.  It's a small annoyance, but wondering if others are running into this.  It was happening in my old PC desktop, so doesn't appear to be OS or DAW related at this point.  I believe I'm on latest Babyface Pro drivers.

In my Mac Energy Saver system settings I disabled "Put hard disks to sleep when possible" thinking it might be related, but it didn't seem to have an effect.

MacBook Pro 2015 | 2.8 Ghz i7 | 16 GB RAM | OS X Sierra | RME Babyface Pro | Presonus Studio One 3

I have at the moment no idea. Besides this it could help if you go into more detail about what OS version and HW you use.
HW: mainboard, bios version, cpu, graphic card.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

I'm guessing Core audio goes to sleep and won't wake up fast enough.

There used to be simple solution, called Antiplop. See:

http://www.tomsick.net/projects/antipop.html

Reports on running this on Sierra haven't all been positive. No problems with previous OSes.

It 's a shellscript launcher for a simple AppleScript that speaks a "space" every once in a while. Keeps Core audio awake.

Maybe it's worth a try?

Alternatively, open the Console app and have a look at the error messages. Core audio could be crashing because of something you forgot?

MB Pro - 2 X FireFace 400, FF800 & DigiFace USB
ADAT gear: Korg, Behri, Fostex, Alesis...

Okay, thanks for the ideas guys.