1 (edited by Liggy 2017-06-07 12:59:51)

Topic: Using RME 802 for surround playback

Hello smile

I recently purchased RME 802 for my studio mixing but since i am slowly aiming for mixing in surround and i saw many people using RME800 for their setup, i wonder how i can set it up ?

I have read in the manual that you can use second ADAT as SPDIF optical out and if i understood correctly, i can connect it to my AV receiver ? I own Pioneer VSX 829 and i use it for my surround setup in the living room ( i stream AC-3 audio  format in MKV containers  from TV and i use RCA SPDIF to connect to receiver). Since i do not have RCA SPIDF from RME 802 outputs i assume you can use 2nd ADAT as suggested in manual but via optical ? ( Sorry if i use SPDIF and Optical/Lightpipe as same since i do not know if SPID can stream 6 channel surround ) ?

If that is correct, how do i setup the Total Mix Fx for DTS/AC-3 surround playback for let's say streaming movies but also for mixing for surround. In other words how do i setup my DAW to give me the playback for the surround and what is ''best Daw'' for it besides Pro Tools ? I do not have money for Pro Tools.....

Thanks

Re: Using RME 802 for surround playback

You would need a realtime AC-3 encoder to do so. In other words - not possible.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

You would need a realtime AC-3 encoder to do so. In other words - not possible.

Oh ye isee what i typed wrong.

What i meant is that can i use ADAT for light pipe stream of AC-3 for my receiver. For example i watch a movie from my computer and it plays AC-3 via RME 802 - > AV receiver - > Speakers

And also how could i set up 5.1 mixing environment using SPDIF and AV receiver thru RME 802 ? If it is not possible how can i do it other way (without hooking up more speakers on hardware outs, i want to go to my av receiver to passive speakers )

Only if your receiver also has analogue 5.1 channel inputs. In that case just connect outputs 1-6 to the receiver. The rest is set up in the daw (and a little totalmix). The spdif in can only receive ac3 and a daw can not send that.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632

Correct, and to make this more clear: looking a movie and sending AC-3 via SPDIF to said receiver works indeed, as described in the manual.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME