Topic: RME UCX plus ADAT plus SPDIF

Hi!

I'd like to upgrade my RME Babyface to RME UCX and have one big question. Maybe you can help me with it.

Can I plug and work simultaneously with one audio interface connected with ADAT OUT (RME UCX OUT) + one audio interface connected with SPDIF IN (RME UCX IN)?

RME UCX ADAT OUT->>> external device1 ADAT IN
external device 2 SPDIF OUT >>>> RME UCX SPDIF IN
at the same time

I understand that I can do this with UFX version but has no idea about UCX.

Thanks.

Re: RME UCX plus ADAT plus SPDIF

You can connect or insert whatever external device you want, as long as it has SPDIF or ADAT I/O. If the other device is an audio interface you might not be able to control or use both at the same time in your OS.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

DAWs can handle only one ASIO driver.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Hi MC and ramses,

thank you for your answers.

I'd like to do this chain:

1) RME UCX as a main audio interface for Ableton.
2) Second audio interface will take channels via ADAT for more outputs (RME ADAT out). I do the same with by Babyface
3) Third audio interface will send channel via SPDIF.

Am I right that second and third interfaces can run  at the same time plugged into RME UCX?  I think it can be restriction: if I work with SPDIF I can't work with ADAT connections. Please confirm  that it is not a problem.

Thank you.

Hi Johny,

I have a FF400 and I use the ADAT (TOSLink) I/O to feed a Focusrite Octopre and also use the SPDIF I/O (RCA connection- I think that's what it's called) for a TC Voicelive. If your 3rd interface outputs SPDIF on an RCA connector, you will be able to connect it and have both interfaces running on your UCX.

SPDIF can also run over TOSLink (same cable/connection as ADAT) so maybe that's why you're thinking there might be an issue running both at the same time. So, you should be able to have 8 channels I/O using the ADAT ports and another 2 channel I/O from the SPDIF RCA connectors.

I hope that helps
J