Topic: ADI-2 Pro vs Babyface Pro sound character

I have both units and they have different sound character. On my equipment my perception of sound is this: Babyface pro sound is fuller with more punch and dynamics, is more musical. Lacks highs and transparency. Adi 2 pro is more transparent, wider and deeper soundstage, has extended highs. I've played with EQ and filters on adi 2 pro to get pros from babyface and it improved much, but still missing little of fullness and musicality of babyface. Overal adi is definitely better. Please can you send me detail frequency measurement of both DA so I can try to adjust frequences where is difference between them? I know that freqency differences are subtle but on my equipment I hear every 1/2dB adjustment on EQ. Thanks in advance

2 (edited by ramses 2017-06-27 06:16:20)

Re: ADI-2 Pro vs Babyface Pro sound character

I can only tell my experience with my equipment.
There is nothing missing with the ADI-2 Pro.

UFX and Geithain RL906D was already very nice.
Then I used long time the RL906D's own D/A converter (hooked up to UFX via AES).
With the UFX+ I changed again to use Analog 1/2 as I had the feeling that the UFX+'s
Analog D/A converters are on par if not even better than those used in the RL906
(quick direct A/B comparison was not possible though).

I also tested the RL906D on the ADI-2 Pro and am very satisfied with the sound.
Opposite to your findings there was no effect like, there is missing bass and dynamic.
It was simply more detailed (better room realism) I think it is what you mean
by deeper soundstage. Maybe even more dynamic, but that was not so easy
for me to find out, as quick A/B comparisons were not possible.

I also cross tested the ADI-2 Pro in direct A/B comparison to my friends Accuphase E-600:
UFX+ ----- ADAT2 (SPDIF) ------------ ADI-2 Pro + -------- Accu E600 SPDIF IN
                                                                         |---------                  Analog IN

Sounded very similar, where I had the feeling that ADI-2 Pro NOS had a little more Treble.
Using NOS filter came a bit closer to the Accuphase D/A converters sound.

ADI 2 Pro vs Accu E600 .. Everything really close .. nothing like less dynamics.

What Monitors do you use for comparison ?

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

I have Legacy Focus SE powered by Bel Canto 500w monoblocks. On both devices I have to adjust bass frequences as there are some bass holes in my room which I have to compensate. If I use same EQ on both then babyface is fuller punchier with better bottom. So on adi I have to make more EQ adjustments in bottom to come close to babyface in this area. Otherwise as I stated adi is better in all other atributes. As my system is extremely dynamic subtle differences on source makes huge change in sound. I have tried several Highend DA in price range 3000-7000 euros and they sounded crap against RME

Then it sounds to me more that you might have room specific problems.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

There are no differences in frequency response or "sound quality" by design, much less are any RME devices supposed to have a "character" of any kind. Your test surroundings also seem less than ideal... Also, expectation bias may play its part.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME