Topic: RME UFX and Motor49 MIDI THRU Issue.

(inb4 "get rekt Behringer n00b, the Motor49 is a quality product aside from this one issue I have with it)

I asked this question over at the Behringer forum, but it appears they have one trained monkey answering questions with "have you tried turning on and then off again?" level answers, and he's on a perpetual coffee break, so you might as well send your questions via postal service, cuz it'll get addressed quicker. Otherwise, I'll post my question verbatim here in the hopes that someone can answer it, and maybe add to the pathetically minimal amount of support this device receives. Here goes:

i7 5820k, 32g of RAM, Windows 10, running Reaper with an RME UFX interfacing input from an outboard synthesizer (FutureRetro XS), and a Motor49 controller connected to the PC, controlling Reaper via USB. All programs and devices are updated to the latest firmware, cabling is tested and all devices are (as far as Im aware) routed as they should be.

What Im trying to do is to get MIDI notes recorded in Reaper to be sent from the UFX's MIDI 1 port "thru" the Motor49 to the FutureRetro XS on Reaper playback. Cabling is set up thusly: Motor49 is connected to the PC via USB and setup as per the Reaper setup guide in the Motor49 instruction manual. It's functioning as expected. The Moto49 is also connected to the FutureRetroXS's MIDI IN port via MIDI from the Motor49's MIDI OUT port. The UFX is connected to the Motor49's MIDI THRU port from the first of the UFX's MIDI OUT ports. "UFX MIDI Port 1" is selected as a hardware output in the Reaper track on which the Motor49 is selected as the input. On playback of recorded MIDI data, the UFX's onboard MIDI activity light blinks, ensuring MIDI data is indeed being sent from the UFX's MIDI OUT port (indeed, directly connecting the UFX to the FutureRetroXS's MIDI IN port via the UFX's MIDI OUT port confirms the data is being sent).

For some reason, when connected to the Motor49's THRU port, no playback is sent from the UFX's MIDI OUT port. In fact, even when the Motor49 is selected as the hardware output, recorded MIDI data is not played back (which, as I understand, should be the expected behaviour).

In Global Settings, MIDI THRU MODE is set to THRU, and I've tried changing USB OUTPUT MODE to THRU, as well as setting the MIDI clock to EXTERNAL with no luck.

Ive basically narrowed the problem down to a setting either in the Motor49 GLOBAL menu, or potentially a hardware routing setting in Reaper, but if anyone has any ideas on how to help me out, they'd be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Re: RME UFX and Motor49 MIDI THRU Issue.

As I understand what you have set up you have a MIDI OUT of the UFX going to a port on your Moto49 which is sending (eg a MIDI OUT) what it is receiving from its MIDI IN. A MIDI Thru port repeats what the device is receiving at the MIDI In port eg in effect you have an OUT connected to an OUT.