Topic: Weird latency problem

I can start a project in Cubase and have no latency whatsoever but as soon as the project grows a little bit really bad latency sets in, making it impossible to record.

My computer is an i7 3,4 Ghz with 16 gb of ram. When this problem sets in the CPU is only at about 12% and memory around 25%.

I'm using a Babyface and the sample rate is at 1024, just as it's always been

Any ideas as to what the problem might be?

Re: Weird latency problem

Describe the latency more

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

it's really long, don't know what else to say

and one other thing: Once it sets in I've tried removing every single VST and effect and the latency remains. No getting rid of it that way

Misunderstanding, what latency do you mean ?

Round trip time between Recording Interface and PC/DAW ?
Or do you mean that your PC responds slower and slower ?
Or do you mean the Latency which can be measure with LatencyMon which describes,
how much latency there because of either loaded CPU cores or CPU cores blocked by drivers or proecesses
too long so that you get deop outs ?

If you select an ASIO buffer size of 1024, then your PC can work more efficient under load and this prevents audio drops especially if the PC is loaded (CPU, disk i/o), but then of course the Round Trip time between recording interface and PC/DAW is higher based on your selection of ASIO buffers.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

yeah, I guess it must fall under round trip between Interface and PC. I hit a guitar string and it takes half a second before I hear anything. Same with midi

When I run the Latency checker software everything is fine. Same with Intel's diagnostic tool. It's a strange thing

But I'm guessing it's because of a computer problem. Something like RAM perhaps. I'll probably have to have it checked up by a computer guy, cause it's not my expertise

No it is not your computer that is for sure. Faulty ram or other hardware causes crashes not latency. I am positive in the end it will be something simple. There is a button on the top left in cubase that says constrain latency. Try that and try disabling asio guard for now.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632

This sometimes happen after a CPU peak, then the buffers were rolled over. Reset the ASIO engine within Cubase, or simply change the buffer size in the BF Settings dialog to something different and back again.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

9 (edited by ramses 2017-06-30 15:34:23)

> yeah, I guess it must fall under round trip between Interface and PC.
> I hit a guitar string and it takes half a second before I hear anything. Same with midi

Do you play over a virtual amp which runs as a VST inside of the DAW ?
In this case 1024 is much too high as ASIO buffer size.

For me with an UFX and now UFX+ a buffer size of 128 was still ok to play comfortably with a good timing. 256 was at the
Here in this tabular you can see to which round trip time these values refer.

So the edge is for me: a round trip latency of up to 13ms. Better lower.

http://www.tonstudio-forum.de/index.php/Attachment/1931-UFX-UFX-RayDAT-Latencies-jpg/

Problem is solved. The built in multiband comp in Cubase needs more time than the 1024 allows for and that caused it, so I'm good.

For now anyway.

Thanks for taking the time out to help, much appreciated!