Topic: TM FX console Problem

Hi all, I have the following issue...when TM FX screen mixer is in view on top of Cubase Artist9 it renders Cubase inoperable, no functions will work, start/stop nothing. I believe I have reached a workable setup in TM(have phone volume fader in place) same for main speaker outputs etc. , but cannot realistically adjust/ balance monitor levels in this fashion....In a previous post someone suggested checking " Release drivers in background" this did not work. I am on a stock Lenovo, intel5, 12 ram, spec sheet describes video hardware as integrated Intel HD Graphic(assume this is graphics card people refer to). Rme TMFX version 1.40. I don't know where to find firmware number. I have been tinkering with this for weeks now getting nowhere...Also tying full DAW mode as suggested with dubious results as the trac monitor button must be engaged to hear anything at all in the headphones, I must be missing something? In this mode I have nothing assigned in TM... Unfortunately I am a musician first and a software/computer guy dead last.. can anybody help me out? I would be very grateful, Thanks

win10 intel5,rme babyface,cubebase artist9.

2 (edited by vinark 2017-06-30 18:55:57)

Re: TM FX console Problem

Hi, I don't understand for sure what you mean by renders cubase inoperable. Does audio stop? If not, it is normal that only one application at a time has the foreground and can be opperated. If you have only one monitor this can be problematic indeed. That is why most of us have 2 or 3 monitors. Cubase on one and totalmix on the other. But maybe this is not what you mean?
Oh and I'm a musician too :-)

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
Babyface pro fs, HDSP9652+ADI-8AE, HDSP9632

As a basement for you: TotalMix FX basics and video training from RME

http://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/inde … rnal-equi/

http://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/inde … al-Videos/

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Gentlemen thank you for your comments...Ahh the light comes on! Vinark you hit the nail on the head. Yes I have only one monitor and it has been driving me up a wall trying see what was wrong! Apparently nothing. My conception of the product has been skewed. I have never seen till now a remark regarding the use of multiple monitors. To reiterate: when the TM console is present on the screen over Cubase then no function of Cubase will operate, period. I am on an all new system Win7 to 10, cubase5 to 9 a Mackie 1220 onyx mixer with on board converts to BF pro. On the former system one could simply setup a trac, record enable,  and hit space bar. No need to press monitor button and hear latency. The same is what I seek, simple ez setup. Not running a studio just me, will write sing and play instruments etc. Currently trying the Daw mode but I find I hear nothing on phones/main outs on the source signal unless the wicked trac monitor button is pressed. If I could find a way around the monitor button problem I would be happy with that. Or now that I know about the TM console always in control maybe I can work something out there.. Btw the purpose of the musician comment was purely to inform someone the tread starter has elementary computer skills at best lol. Ramses will revisit tutorials..may I ask, what would you recommend me do? Thanks so much, I know more now than yesterday.

If you struggle with opening and closing
- TotalMix FX and
- Driver settings Dialog.
A nice gent of this forum (potscrubber) invented a very nice macro mechanism ...
With F1 it opens and closes the RME Mixer TotalMix FX and ALT-F1 does the same for the driver settings dialog (you can use also any other key by making little changes).

I made a blog article out of this RME user forum article and provided a few screenshots, its available in German and English. English version at the end of the article: http://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/inde … stendruck/

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

> Currently trying the Daw mode but I find I hear nothing on phones/main outs on the source signal
> unless the wicked trac monitor button is pressed. If I could find a way around the monitor button
> problem I would be happy with that.

Thats the purpose of DAW mode. Some people had problems to understand TotalMix FX.
DAW mode takes care, that all Hardware Inputs of the Recording Device will be passed to the DAW.
So in this case you need to perform the routing to the outputs (Monitors, Phones) fully in your DAW.

Of course its often smarter and easier to be able to perform all the routing in TM FX.
Especially if you want to perform the routing with Zero Latency Digitally inside of the Recording device.
But then run TotalMix FX in its normal operation mode.

Look at the RME Video Tutorials and pls read my primer which enables you to create a good basic setup,
how to save and recall it and a good basic routing. The article is written in German and English.

After that you should see clearer and be able to have all better under control and to utilize TM FX more for your demand.
After a while you will see even more potentials behind it like me, i.e. this here:
http://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/inde … arren-Rig/

Ramses thank you for your helpful post...Back to the drawing board for me. As I state above I had achieved suitable routing in TM but was not clear in my mind as to how to handle the balancing of multiple tracks within TM if I could not run Cubase and make adjustments on the fly and so I assumed I had a software problem of some sort which I am ill prepared to deal with so I thought the Daw mode was worth looking into. So it is correct then to say that in Daw mode the only way to hear the source signal is to engage the monitor thus hearing some latency? If so I will return to TM with better understanding...Thank you for the help